Howdy, I posted on here last year and got a lot of great advice. Unfortunately life happened and a lot of things got in the way of my "new" backhoe so everything went on the backburner. I also never got the chance to say thanks! Anyway, here's what I posted last year and I'll update accordingly in addition to asking some new questions on the start of this project. "1979 Massey Ferguson Backhoe Transmission/Operation Questions ...I bought a 1979 Massey Ferguson MF60 Backhoe from a guy for a very low price because he inherited it and had no use for it. He claims it has a bad transmission with worn bands but doesn't know much about it. From my initial inspection today, I have a number of questions I hope some of you can answer for me. The tractor appears to have been drained of hydraulic fluid but he has 15 gallons available for me. It has a full tank of diesel. The coolant is empty, he said he drained it before the winter. No idea why but the radiator cap is also broken.The engine starts and runs good, however, the exhaust manifold has a lot of oil in it(?). I cannot find the transmission dipstick nor the fluid type and capacity. Bear in mind this was a quick initial inspection and brief start up. (I will be working on it in earnest tomorrow if I get off work early enough). We will be starting it up tomorrow and attempting to move it. I have zero experience with a 79 MF60 but I have a decent amount of experience operating much newer backhoes. I need to know some critical information about fluid types and capacities and dipstick/filling locations if possible. I know where the fuel and hydraulic reservoirs are located as well as the engine oil filler and dipstick. I believe I read the transmission dipstick is under the driver seat? My first goal is to check and fill the transmission with the correct fluid if possible. Hopefully it is something easily available at a rural NAPA auto parts. Can someone help me by listing fluid capacities, types, and specs for this particular model? Additionally, he claims the backhoe will run and operate all hydraulics very well, but the transmission will not shift into forward or reverse at all. If I'm extremely lucky, perhaps it will be related to the threads I am reading about sticking pedals? When I pressed the forward/reverse pedal cluster the pedals would NOT operate independently. They appear to be sticking like in the other thread I read through. Also, I asked him if he checked the transmission fluid (before we got there) and he said yes, and that the level was low, barely registering on the bottom of the dipstick. The fluid capacity here will help me to top it off. Also I read something about checking the shift linkage is tight from underneath the pedals to the transmission? Are there any other "Quick fixes" I can try before abandoning all hope and borrowing a trailer and winch? The tractor is 9 miles down the rural highway so if we miraculously get it running we will just drive it home. He also said the brakes don't work but when I pushed the brake pedal there was good pressure and the pedal didn't go all the way to the floor..." UPDATE: 23 Aug 2016 I got the backhoe home and what an adventure that was! Read below if you want a laugh/shake your head. Otherwise feel free to skip to the bottom. I got the fluids topped off as best I could. I put Permatrans in the transmission (It was very low) and filled the hydraulic oil. The only thing I couldn't and still can't find is the filler plug for the torque converter. Possibly as a result, I still couldn't get it to shift and the forward/reverse pedals are sticking together. The hydraulics worked great aside from some pretty good leaks from sun rotted hoses. Brakes did not work at all except thankfully the parking brake (Cable driven I'm pretty sure). The guy I bought it from was being a real obnoxious pain in the butt and didn't want me working on it on his property for any length of time. Turns out he was a meth head and that was why he sold me the backhoe he inherited for practically nothing. He was denying me access to it to even haul it off unless I brought a truck and trailer with a winch. Bear in mind the deal was done and I had all kinds of paperwork signed by him with SN's and everything. I had a bad feeling from the start but couldn't turn down the price. I am 95% sure it isn't stolen. Even checked with the sheriff. There was an identical, slightly newer one parked next to it that belonged to his dad and wasn't for sale. Unfortunately I could not get access to a big enough trailer with a strong winch or a semi to haul it. Before involving the sheriff, I told him I would get it off his property in less than an hour if he would just let me on his property. He started acting ignorant again and said I couldn't possibly do it without a trailer. He again stated I wasn't allowed to mess with it unless I brought a trailer and winch. Being pretty irritated at this point I kept my word and went over there anyway. Do not tell an Army vet who's been through some serious BS and improvisation he can't do something! Lol. I brought my neighbor and my 07 Ram 3500 this time. We started it right up and rechecked fluids. Lifted the bucket, outriggers, and stowed the backhoe and I just hooked up my heavy duty chain to everything. Together we pulled it off his property in about 10 mins and down the highway. I live in rural Utah in the mountains and there were a fair number of hills and about 9 miles from his house to mine. We towed it all the way there with only a few issues. On the last stretch we had to go down this steep canyon where I had some serious concerns given there was only the handbrake. Right at the mouth of the canyon and start of the downgrade the front right tire blew. We stopped and my neighbor (A cantankerous old Vietnam vet himself) said screw it, let's keep going. So we continued with the blown tire and I kept going with my truck in 1st gear. The whole trip took about 2 hours with the canyon being the most difficult part. Funny thing was had the tire not blown he probably would have been unable to stop with just the handbrake given the steep grade. It slowed us down enough he didn't stat rolling out of control. We had the backhoe running the entire "drive" to keep the hydraulics in place and the steering up. We got it home and parked with no more trouble and I started messing with it that weekend. TLDR: Since it has been home and that experience happily out of my life I had some new hydraulic hoses built and I also had entirely new battery and ground cables built for it. The old ones were in really rough shape and completely unsalvageable. The rear hydraulic ram for the hoe leaks a little but not too bad and I have fixed all of the bad hose leaks. Again, the hydraulics work fantastic. Very strong. I still haven't figured out if the transmission is bad. I am planning on digging into it again with my limited knowledge. Maybe I'll get lucky and it is just a low fluid level in the torque converter or a problem with the pedals. I'll post some pictures later to show you what I'm looking at. Maybe someone here can help me find the filler plug for the torque converter via the picture? I pressure washed the entire thing and sprayed decades of dried oil and dirt from the underside to a limited extent. The little Perkins diesel runs like a champ. After it had been supposedly sitting for 10 years it fired up within seconds of cranking it (And with no ether or fresh fluids either. I merely verified the crankcase was full and oil looked ok). 2725 hours on the hour meter assuming it still works. My only concern with the engine is there appears to be oil in the exhaust manifold but it could possibly be some kind of sludge buildup or something from sitting uncovered with rain for over 10 years. I'll take a picture of it in a bit. I'm guessing worst case regarding the transmission is I'll need to split the backhoe and pull it. I'll make sure to replace the Perkins rear main seal and any other suggestions you guys have if it comes to that. I really hope it doesn't come to that. I have no idea where to start with that... For those wondering I traded an old motorcycle (I was into it about 900$) and 250$ cash for the backhoe. I think it was a decent deal even if it is quite a project. A couple of starting questions: -I found a 598 page service/repair manual for Massey Ferguson MF60 backhoes on Amazon for 98$. The 148 Page Owner's Manual is 47$. I checked Agcopartsbook.com and could not find anything for Massey Ferguson MF60 or any combination of the other acronyms I found. Perhaps I was wording the search arguments incorrectly though? I am going to list the different codes I found on the data plates, maybe one of you can help? I'd like to avoid spending that much on the repair manual but I will if that is my best option. I will need something like it to help me if I end up needing to split it/rebuild the transmission. Also found a really old fat binder on Ebay with 2 manuals for 200$ that looked like it came from a tractor repair facility. Does anyone by chance have any PDF's on this backhoe? What I have found on the plates: Massey Ferguson MF60 MF60TL S/N 9E100567 (Above the battery compartment driver's side front) MF60BH-CM S/N 9E100567 (In the rear by the backhoe arm) The guy told me it was a 1979 backhoe. -What other things would you guys recommend looking at? I apologize for the really long read. Thank you so much in advance for the help and for bearing with me on this interesting journey so far. Pictures coming shortly -
These are pictures taken before I hauled it to my place. After pictures where I did some pressure washing and such coming soon
Sorry the 1st group of pictures above got a little mixed up
Don't worry about the exhaust system, just keep an eye on the oil level, and listen closely to the sound of it running. So you have two right foot pedals? and they're still stuck together? that will do it. Crawl under there with a can of whatever, spray down the shaft with both linkages on it, then push one pedal down while holding the other one up, repeat until they snap back on their own.
Thanks Delmer, The pedals must be stuck really good because I haven't been able to get them to move independently. They go down when I press one or the other, but that's it. They still both go down even if I try holding one up. I tried soaking it with PB blaster once before and inspecting the linkage but didn't find anything odd nor any improvement. I can certainly try harder though. Here's some pictures. Also in one of the pictures there is a disconnected cable among the linkage on top of the transmission. I can't find the other piece or where it goes. Another mystery
Here are pictures I just took of the undercarriage. These are taken from under the right side looking up at the right side of the transmission. Sorry about all the grease. I'm trying to find the filler plug for the torque converter if anyone can point it out. ALSO I identified a pretty major leak as pictured on the transmission but don't know what to call it. ANyone have any info? Thanks again for the replies already!
That cable sure looks like a tachometer, does your tachometer work? it should go to the back of the engine. That's a different linkage than I was thinking of, it MIGHT function similarly or not. Is the last pic in #5 showing some kind of lock across the top of both pedals? I can't figure out how that works from the picture, it doesn't look rusty enough to be rusted solid. That angled plug in the middle of the first pic in #6 is the torque converter IIRC. and the leak is the brake actuator, but I couldn't tell you what is leaking there, whether the brakes are SUPPOSED to be dry or not.
Thanks Delmer, The tach does not work so I think you are correct on that one. The pedals don't appear to have a lock, and the little bar across the top only stops upward motion and keeps tension on the assembly I think. I'm going to mess with them some more on my day off and I could snap another picture. The brakes are a wet disc system according to what little specs I could find on the machine. I still do not know what transmission it has. Only thing I found is it's a 4 speed automatic with 1 reverse gear but it was all really generic information online. When I moved it in last fall I had filled the transmission up full of Permatrans + 1Qt Lucas Transmission fix/stop leak and now that it has sat over the winter and summer it is practically empty unfortunately. With that bad of leakage I am dreading it but I think I am going to have to split the backhoe after all... I am not at all knowledgeable about doing a backhoe though - being limited to just working on my cars/trucks, but I couldn't afford spending thousands in labor so I will be teaching myself I guess! Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks again for the reply Delmer! I'm glad to know where the torque converter filler is now. I am hoping to find out about the repair mannual too. Is the 97$ 600 page one I found on Amazon a good buy you think? Or should I hold out for some additional insight maybe in PDF form for free? Lol
By the way I was just visiting WI in June... My aunt lives in Black River Falls near Alma Center. I love it up there
There may or may not be some info. that will help on your pedals in this thread RD622. HeavyEquipmentForums
Yeah, read through that thread, you seem to have two separate FWD and REV pedals not the rocker or "three pedals?" others mentioned. I don't know squat about the 60 transmission though, do you have any gear shifters? the older ones I'm familiar with have two gear shifters, for four speeds forward, or reverse, road gear in reverse is real fun. For all I know there is some internal lock on the transmission that keeps you from moving the pedals until pressure builds or something? I can't comment on the manual, that seems a little high for something so common as a **, but if nothing better turns up, that's the next step. Unless somebody else comes along that knows the newer ** transmissions.
I've owned that same backhoe, if you go to "agcopartsbooks" (google it) you should be able to sign in as "guest". On the top left you will see "Browse Books",,click on that,....then "click on Massey Ferguson, then click on,, parts book,,....another section will open,,click on "Tractors",,....then click on "Industrial",,...you'll find your backhoe there with all the parts etc. etc. That hole linkage for the forward/reverse comes out and can be cleaned, the cables that these pedals control could be seized, you can check that once the pedals are removed.
Looking for Boom Seal Kit & Other Parts - Massey-Ferguson MF60 Backhoe - Loader Hi Guys, Was hoping I could get some help to find a reasonably priced Boom Seal Kit for my 1976 MF60. The part number is 1608496M91...anyone know where I can order one? Are there any decent aftermarket seal/gasket manufacturers that make a quality product? The price in Canada is over $400. I'm also looking for: 1) Gauges 2) Swivel Seat 3) All Lights 4) Some door hinges and locks/latches. ...if anyone knows of any salvage or aftermarket places for those parts as well Thanks for your time all! Matt