When heading downhill and applying the brake on my 580, I get very loud brake chatter. Kinda sounds like rocks being crushed. I have learned that this is most likely due to old hydraulic fluid which causes the wet brakes to "stick-slip". Is there a additive I can put into the hyd. oil to improve/fix this in order to prevent having to flush out the entire hyd. oil? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Yes, but why wouldn't you want to change the hydraulic oil? You don't have to flush out the whole system, unless you find something in the drained oil, or filters to indicate digging deeper. You can take an oil sample like cat SOS and send that in to see how dirty the old oil is, if you really don't want to change the oil.
I think the machine takes around 100l of oil, considering that I wouldn't want to replace it with cheap stuff that might make it worse, I'll easily be over $500 which is, unfortunately, too much for me at the moment . Would running SeaFoam in the system and changing the hyd. filter more often help clean out the system, in order to prevent this? Thanks!
No, no sea foam please. I don't think changing the filter will do anything for the chatter. There is an additive. I don't think you have 100 liters in the transaxle. The internet says 20 liters, anybody know for sure?
Okay stop! The brakes "DO NOT RUN IN HYD. OIL" the hyd. only supplies brake master cylinders with oil. You need to change the oil in the transaxle, go to you local Case dealer and buy a 5gal bucket of "Transaxle Fluid" it has an additive in it to prevent brake chatter. Drain the transaxle and refill with new oil.
Coy, Thanks for clearing this up. As some machines run hydraulic oil cooled brakes, I thought mine would too. I found a case part number: "B17632" and will call my local dealer after labour day to see if they can get it. Thanks again
No problem you are welcome. You can also add a limited slip additive to regular gear oil but the transaxle fluid is the best. All Case CE dealears usually have it in stock.
Ok thank you very much for your input. Is there going to be any harm if I don't change the oil now (maybe late fall) and just avoid going down steep grades??? Also would you know how I could find out that it isn't a mechanical issue (such asworn out brake pads)?
Well the only harm really is to your ears but go ahead and get some limited slip additive and put in the oil. It goes in the plug under the seat it's about 1 1/2" hex plug with dipstick attached. On how much are brakes worn, how does your brake pedals feel do the go down pretty low or close to top when brakes begin to apply?
They do go down pretty low. When I bought the machine I had the seller adjust the left brake pedal because there was almost no stopping power from that one. The brakes do stop the machine fine, it just sounds like something might break. Is there a special limited slip additive you would recommend? Thanks
I know it sounds pretty bad as long as it doesn't sound like metal against metal. Any good anti slip additive will work well. There is an adjusting nut on top of the brake housing on the transaxle housing. Pull the rubber covers off and loosen the jam nut, 11/16" wremch, and then tighten the adjusting nut, 3/4" wrench a little at a time like a turn and then checking the pedal height as you adjust, it's easier if you have someone to check brakes as you adjust them.
P.S. Be sure and get a limited slip additive for regular gear oil not synthetic.
Ok thanks so much for your effort coy, I'll definitely look into that!
What about this additive? https://www.amazon.ca/Ford-XL-3-Friction-Modifier-Additive/dp/B000NU5LP6 Or is there another one designed for tractor/backhoes that won't break the bank?
Has anybody used this additive: https://parts.cat.com/en/finningca/197-0017 it is made by CAT to prevent brake chatter. I guess what works in a cat machine, can't hurt in a Case backhoe? Thanks
you should really be sure you have wet brakes as not all 1986 580se had wet you have to check sn on axle housing... the housings look the same but some had dry brakes and they rattled when they got oil on them
Never in a backhoe but I have put it in Spicer telehandler axles. Never really noticed a difference in chatter TBH.
My machine should have wet brakes. See insert from Operators manual. It tells me machines after serial number/pin 17032504 have oil cooled disc brakes and need the special case transaxle oil in the transaxle (part# B17632). My machine is after this serial #. I think I will have to change out the oil anyway as there seems to be some sort of dirt in there. The special oil runs at close to 200 CAD per 5gal pail . So I guess I'll leave it with the additive for now... Thanks for all of your help. Anybody here know how to flush the transaxle to get the gunk out? I hear some folks use Hyd. oil? Thanks again,
You are probably right about changing the oil. I hope I've helped you with what information I could provide.