I seen a add for a bobcat 863 for sale.Owner said that black smoke comes out when it is first started.it has a Deutz motor with 6500 hrs on the machine.i am no expert on Bobcat but I have rented them and would like to buy one . the asking price is 8k. from what I've said is this something worth looking at or should I walk away?Thanks
I can't say about the machine, it really depends on the overall machine condition and operations and being right there at the machine is the only way to check those things, but you should ask if they've replaced the timing belt and at what hours on the machine. If they reply with a look of curiosity and a "timing belt?" response, you can pretty much bet they haven't.
^^^^ this :drinkup
bobcat 863 If the timing belt has been replaced recently and the skid steer looks and operates good would your best guess be that it would be worth having and how often should a timing belt be replaced and what would the price be to replace a timing belt? thanks
bobcat recommends 3000 hr timing belt replacement interval. :drinkup
What year is it? Some of the early ones weren't the best. The deutz motor is oil cooled and had a few cylinder problems. At that hours it would be good money spent to pay some one that knows those machines to look at it with you. Weak motor or hydrostats and you will spend almost what you gave for it. Look for cracks around the tilt cylinder on the boom. Also the pins that hold the bob tach to the boom are wedge type. If run loose it can cause lots of problems.
Thanks to you all for responding it was a big help . I think I'll pass and spend a little more time looking