Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

863 bobcat-all of fuel won’t drain

jdmc ยท 2014-10-23 19:25

Took out drain plug, about 13 gals came out slow (with water and what look liked mud). Thought it was all out so I put 2 gals of gas in to rinse it out, plug was still out, nothing came out. Put in about 1 1/2 gals of diesel, fill tube was full. Still nothing out drain plug. Stuck wire 2 1/2' feet in with no results. Put rubber plug in and used air hose to try and break loose clog. All it dose is build up pressure, and no effect on the fuel in the fuel neck / top of tank. Any on one have any ideas on what the problem could be? And how to fix it.

Replies11
  1. #1Ronsii2014-10-23 19:46

    Was this machine still in good operating condition before you tried to drain the tank? Sounds like someone vandalized it...

  2. #2Delmer2014-10-23 21:24

    I'm guessing no on the first question, and agree with the vandalism guess, unless it got flooded? So you stuck the wire up the drain plug and got nothing? that's pretty bad... What about the air, was that in the drain plug or the fuel neck? Maybe use a long drill bit to see what you can "saw" loose that might be plugging the drain? plastic bag? The full fuel neck is very interesting???

  3. #3willie592014-10-23 21:52

    There should be a rubber joint that connects the filler pipe to the nipple on the fuel tank. Remove the fill pipe and joints so you can get a better look inside the tank.

  4. #4Mikefromcny2014-10-24 18:59

    Have fun with that. I put one back in an 863 at work. Pretty miserable, but there shouldn't be anything blocking it, its just a rubber tube.

  5. #5willie592014-10-24 20:20

    Hey, I didn't say it would be easy. The only things "easy" to do on a Bobcat is change engine oil/filters and the starter. Easy ends there.

  6. #6jdmc2014-10-25 00:16

    bobcat was running fine except it would "sputter" a bit then continue to run for awhile then do it again. I thought it might have been vandalized but there wasn't any residue in the screen filter at the top of the fuel tank when I removed the fill tube. When the filler tube was off I did stick a wire about 2' into the tank, felt no obstructions. Just a thought, I did have White Star replace the pick up fuel line in the tank 2 years ago, if they didn't get all of the old line out could that be causing the problem. The air pressure was put into the drain plug hole, build pressure and blow back. Applied air pressure to the fuel neck with same type of results, pressure builds then blows back with fuel spraying out as well. Dose anyone know what the inside of a fuel tank looks like? Is it open or have compartments.

  7. #7Desertwheeler2014-10-25 00:42

    The one I replaced in my 763 was just a big tank. Sounds like you might have to pull it.

  8. #8Ronsii2014-10-25 01:11

    All of my bobcats just have single tank non baffle units in them.... but this doesn't mean someone hasn't changed what yours has in it... how about some pics of what you are dealing with?

  9. #9Delmer2014-10-25 10:27

    Did you have the fuel cap on when you did this? I have no idea what could cause this, but I'd siphon as much fuel out as possible, try a plumbers snake into the top of the tank, a drill bit or hooked wire into the drain hole to see if you can snag anything or get it flowing. If you get enough fuel out you could try the air in the drain with the cap removed. Once you get all the fuel drained that will drain, rinse it with a pressure washer, if you drained mud out a little more water isn't going to hurt the tank one bit.

  10. #10jdmc2014-10-25 23:43

    Sounds like a plan, I won't be able to try it until Monday. Hopefully it works. Thanks to all who had input.

  11. #11Ronsii2014-10-26 00:38

    It's amazing what I have found in fuel tanks... everything from tubing and funnel extensions to rubber gloves, rags and a whole lot more... you just never know who did what to a machine before you got it or why. Short of pulling the tank you might check out renting or borrowing an inspection camera to get a look inside the tank, anymore I end up pulling the tank if I have the slightest evidence that there may be crap in it, that way I know exactly what I have to work with and where not to look if problems persist.