Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

863 Bobcat electrical problem

andy3882 ยท 2014-04-29 23:25

I have a 863 Bobcat that blows the alternator/ accessory fuse immediately upon turning the key to start the machine. Afterwards the machine must stop charging the battery and after 20-30 minutes or so engages the transmission lock. Then the battery is dead and will not restart the machine. It use to blow a fuse every once in a while and now has been happening with almost every startup. My thoughts are this should make it easier to find the problem now. I need a wiring diagram for this portion of the electrical system and any suggestions on where to start searching for the dead short to ground. I'm going to start by looking at the key switch and maybe disconnecting the alternator to rule it out. Thanks everyone in advance .......this site has been a wealth of knowledge.

Replies11
  1. #1willie592014-04-30 00:17

    The machine serial number will help getting the correct diagram. Also, is it a standard control machine, no high flow?

  2. #2andy38822014-04-30 08:49

    Model 863g Serial 514448875 Bought new 2002 Standard foot and pedal controls Not sure about the hi flow.... It has the hi flow button that lights up when u start the engine.

  3. #3willie592014-04-30 22:50

    Sorry, I don't have the manual for that machine. I did look at the 753G and the 773G just to see if they're similar. On those machines, fuse F11 is ALT & KITS, fuse F12 is ACC PLUGS. Does that agree with what's on your machine?

  4. #4ANDREW C2014-05-01 00:09

    I had a couple that the reverse switch wiring was rubbed through and for some reason blow the alt fuse. Might not hurt to look at it. Raise the cab and have a good look over the whole harness for rubbed spots especially if you have no manual. I have a 963 manual I can send you if you pm your email.

  5. #5Joeyslushr2014-05-01 09:19

    Might not help but track machines were good for harness chaeffing at left rear of cab where it heads down from the roof. Sometimes u could see it arcing in the dark. I'd deffinately start with unhooking the alternator could be a shorted wire in there

  6. #6DoyleX2014-05-02 09:32

    Its the alternator. Neighbor had a 873 with the exact same symptoms.

  7. #7Roberalbe2015-10-26 23:32

    Hi, Also looking for electrical diagram and or manual for my bobcat 863 I just purchased. SN514441897. any info/links would be great. My machine is giving a glow plug alarm "GLO 09" would like to test relays, fuses, ect. but not sure what to test without drawings. Also my machine has heat and the fan is not functioning. I am mechanically inclined however I am mew to skid steers and this is my first. I am new to the forum as well. Thanks Robert

  8. #8crewchief8882015-10-27 19:31

    the backup alarm and switches are on the same fuse with the alternator. ive never seen a bad alarm blow the fuse, but if the plate that activates the switch touches the one next to it, it will blow the fuse every time. thats where i'd start looking if it had an alarm on it, and it's been removed, tape up the wiring on the tailgate.. :drinkup

  9. #9crewchief8882015-10-27 19:33

    older model, square headlights, with a LCD rh (BOSS system) dash panel? :beatsme :drinkup

  10. #10Roberalbe2015-10-27 21:08

    2000 model, triangle lights, G-series control. doesn't have the right hand LCD panel. also not high flow/2speed. Thanks Robert

  11. #11Roberalbe2015-10-27 22:41

    I Just figured out the glow plug issue, Found the fuse/relay box (way to close to find right away). The glow plug relay was half fallen out. Plugged back in and now it works and counts down like it's suppose to. still know heater fan though. Thanks Robert