Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 277c 2 speed …need advice

truecountry ยท 2014-04-29 20:52

Ok I got to watch operator run this today ...if youre steering straight it still turns left ... Kinda like one track is turning a lil faster then other ... .Now this is the thing I hate The Mech before me had to weld a part on the right side and I don't know if its that or what .. But it ran fine before this The part that was welded is on back idler in between number 2 and 3 discs (remember this is the fast side )so if he didn't square it to everything and its making it seem bigger or taller track .kinda like smaller tire against a bigger one on rear axle of a car ... Ill clean it up get some pics and show what was welded But only thing that was altered was this and now this problem with speed difference in right to left

Replies24
  1. #1willie592014-04-29 21:32

    Regardless of what was welded, there's probably a way to adjust the output of the drive pumps to synchronize drives, but I don't know a thing about Cat machines. Just a thought.

  2. #2truecountry2014-04-29 21:39

    Yeah I thought about that but I want to see what broke how it was welded incase any demons will happen because this u know me always thinking about what if and all lol ....Damn I think older I get the more wiser or is it the bud weiser

  3. #3willie592014-04-29 22:26

    Don't disagree, do investigate what he welded and determine if that's what's made the change. But I know absolutely nothing about a Cat skiddy, other than on some models it's a PITA to remove the front floor plate when the cavity under the plate is filled with muck and dealing with the cables that go to the foot pedal and the hand throttle. Aside from that, can't offer much help.

  4. #4Mobiltech2014-04-30 00:20

    The only way it would speed up was if he made the drive sprocket bigger. I don't think that happened.

  5. #5truecountry2014-04-30 21:13

    Ill get in to it more tomorrow and pics of what was welded and all .....

  6. #6truecountry2014-05-05 07:58

    Idler spindle front to rear idler spindle on right side measures 71 3/4...left is72 1/8...

  7. #7Mobiltech2014-05-05 08:40

    That won't affect the travel speed. You have to think of the drive sprocket as a wheel running on the ground. The only thing that will change the speed is if the sprocket is a larger diameter and it therefore moves the machine farther for every revolution it makes.

  8. #8truecountry2014-05-05 10:04

    Just seems odd this happened after this piece was welded

  9. #9truecountry2014-05-05 10:07
  10. #10truecountry2014-05-05 11:53

    Now caterpillar is telling me . A tech has to calibrate it with comp because its all electronic joy sticks....***

  11. #11Nige2014-05-05 12:09

    Before you get into paying $/hr for a tech with a laptop, do you have any diagnostic codes..?

  12. #12truecountry2014-05-05 12:15

    No codes

  13. #13JustForFun2014-05-05 13:26

    Where did they have the ground connected for the welder? You may have had an arc in the wheel motor. Hopefully not. We build automated machinery for milk bottling plants and have trouble with bearings, cylinders and motors when maintenance staff don't connect the ground properly. Often times the best conductivity between machine parts is through the nice shiny clean piston and the cylinder wall.

  14. #14truecountry2014-05-07 19:04

    Big ThaNKS Nige ....It was loose connection ...on right pump Went thur all faults and found this ,... So the way it was plugged in only 2 prongs where connected Kinda bent I guess when pump housing broke loose it pulled it out half way That means Caterpillar Service Manager was very wrong his comment was nothing to do with this speed sensor would make that skid steer act like that .....I would call them but screw it THANKS Nige for the help ...Hats off to ya:drinkup

  15. #15Nige2014-05-07 19:48

    No thanks necessary. You really do need to pay a visit to the Cat Service Manager and tell him you sorted the problem with the help of a bunch of Cat Professionals, so what does that make him and his guys..? If he's got any manners at all he will apologise.......if not, name and shame your dealer......

  16. #16JDOFMEMI2014-05-07 20:03

    NIge Once again, you have come through to solve a problem for someone. You are the man!

  17. #17Nige2014-05-07 20:10

    Jerry, I'm not the one doing the fixing - I just know better than most where to find the info to make the fix possible......

  18. #18truecountry2014-05-07 20:43

    Its all a money game there I think honestly .First thing is he wanted to send a guy out right then .....Ive got the Cat product reps number I may call her up ...She tolded me anytime I need her call and I may but ...I got other equipment to fix no time to do phone tag ....Im there to get things running ...I think Cat buying out Appenctice was a screw up ive had problems with parts dept too..First order I made to them from New company I gave them part numbers 3 of them they sent 5 I called complained ...bs ... next time I called for a packing kit hydraulic cylinder and sent wrong one ,called them tolded them ok we will send right one ( I sent a man the next morning to pick it up there at Cat and was tolded its being mailed I was hot I had dozer sitting 2 days and still no parts and didn't know if it was going to be 3 days or not plus gas this man burnt going to get parts pissed away) I called them up and ( I always write who I talk to on note pad and for what and time I called ) tolded this guy what I ordered and who I talked too and he said hang on ....They screwed it up on lunch break And it was the The boss that did it ....I got packing kit half off no shipping charges at all ........ Think maybe its time I let them know Im paying them and they are there to help me after I catch up lol

  19. #19truecountry2014-05-07 20:45

    Thanks for the Guidance Nige ....I would buy u a few beers

  20. #20uzz32soarer2016-01-27 17:21

    I'm having a similar issue. I have a 277C with only 200 hours on it, but it is three or four years old. Last week it started showing a yellow exclamation warning on the left side to panel. I don't have the top right panel so no way to read codes. If the yellow light was on it would steer slightly to the left in the straight ahead position and you have to keep pushing it back. Really annoying. I purchased a CAT ET system and it has a code E568 and says left drive motor speed sensor #1: Erratic, Intermittent or Incorrect Then another one that says Left Drive Speed Sensor #1: Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width or Period? Any clues as to what this could be?

  21. #21lantraxco2016-01-27 17:58

    Wiring or connector issue, sensor malfunction, or an internal issue like whatever the sensor reads has a bad bearing and is moving away from the sensor, some typical things to check.

  22. #22uzz32soarer2016-01-27 18:02

    Is a sensor likely to malfunction on a 200 hr machine? I've traced all exposed wiring and it all looks brand new. I was going to remove the sensor and clean and check it but it looks to be in a very difficult place on the tracked machines?

  23. #23Cmark2016-01-27 19:21

    You've got two threads going on this problem now. Mods! Cleanup please~~~ Edit: Make that three threads!

  24. #24lantraxco2016-01-28 02:24

    There's a sort of rule in the electronics industry called "Infant mortality" that states that the likelihood of a component failing is extremely high in the first 1 or 2% of it's rated life, if it lives through that you're probably golden until it gets outward of 80% (I'm making the numbers up just for example). Very likely a bad crimp in a pin or socket in the harness or an intermittent at a connector, rather than an actual sensor failure, but you never know. It's remotely possible the sensor was not installed to the correct depth and after a bit of breakin it's getting iffy because the distance to the tooth wheel is off just enough?