Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

863 Bobcat timing belt has shreaded up.

amwilkin ยท 2013-05-20 08:11

I just had a new timing belt installed on the Duetz engine in a 863 BC, and it has unraveled from the flat side. Anyone ever see this before, or knows what would cause the problem , please reply. Also does this mean that the valve stems will be bent? Thanks alvi

Replies10
  1. #1amwilkin2013-05-21 07:51

    Problem found by removing inspection cover. The tension idler had locked up, even though it was new.

  2. #2grandpa2013-05-22 22:51

    So did it bend the pushrod's?

  3. #3willie592013-05-22 23:16

    Wait, what??? The tensioner idler locked up even though it was new??? That sucks! The supplier may replace the faulty tensioner, but I doubt they will assume responsibility for the additional carnage. On an additional note, I've seen the oil pump lock up on those Deutz engines and trash the belt. Baffles the hell outa me how an oil pump can lock up, but I've seen it. :beatsme IMHO, whoever came up with the idea of using a timing belt on a diesel should be hung from a wooden gallows.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2013-05-23 05:52

    I'll bet you 100.00 that it didn't lock up..but the mechanic put it on backwards!! Did the same thing on my 1st one..instructor was "alittle" hungover that day..

  5. #5crewchief8882013-06-18 18:19

    by his balls with rusty barbed wire :drinkup

  6. #6thepumpguysc2013-06-18 20:50

    ON AN "INTERFEARANCE ENGINE" NO LESS!! Got 1 in the shop today..thankfully, for the customer, it only bent ALL the push rods..

  7. #7willie592013-06-18 20:50

    Agreed. BTW, good to see you're still here helping with Bobcat issues. :notworthy

  8. #8grandpa2013-06-18 21:14

    ops

  9. #9crewchief8882013-06-19 17:44

    Ty willie my computer crashed about a month ago, and really wasnt in the mood to fix it. :drinkup

  10. #10crewchief8882013-06-19 17:46

    thankfully duetz uses them skinny pushrods. i havent seen one damage a piston or bend a valve yet. :drinkup