Hi folks. Well i have a doozey for ya....just put the motor in 863 back together and she doin strange things..Let me start from the top. Only had her for a few hundred hours(now done 4000) and use her as farmhand lifting logs etc.About month ago she started blowin black smoke and i also noticed the typical washdown of oil from head.She also dropped in power to sweet nothing under load.So heres what got fixed: Injectors reco(were down 50 bar),glow plugs,head gasket,blower idler pulley and belt,timing belt and idler(done with pins etc),head reco,adj tappets. When she finally got started she blows more black smoke but otherwise runs very sweet through the whole rev range....power seems fine too...seems like over fueling but running well.turbo seems fine and no blockages in inlet or outlet.Took air intake off before and after turbo to check..no difference.However, she is also running hot...and she has new thermostat(maybe one of those coincidental double troubles or ????timing???running well though!). ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED AS IM NOW GOING CRAZEE!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, also replaced fuel filter and cleaned lift pump gauze.....
Check air filter and air intake hoses
Brucej I have a Gehl so the cooling system may be different, make sure your temp sensor is working right, clean or blow out your radiator, check for exhaust restrictions,make sure the fan shroud or fan is in it's proper place, if you have good engine oil pressure it should be circulating in the cooling system. Mine runs at 80 degree celsius. I have two skid with Duetz's and the one I bought new has always put out black smoke (2002 model 1011) when you got into the throttle. I always thought it was a fuel issue too. They don't smoke when idling, only under load. lots of power though.Maybe they are overfueled for a reason. If the engine seems to be running well but overheating, rule out the cooling system first cause it's the simplest to check.Thick dirty oil will cause it to overheat, but you just did all the work on the engine so the oil been changed. There should be members of the site who have messed with their injection pumps could tell you what overfueling a deisel will do. I don't think there is a fuel adjustment on the Bosh pumps, it 's done with shims. But I'm not sure. If the timing belt procedure was done right the timing should be right on.Scott
Thanks Mutt!! Yeah first thing i looked at...woulda been nice if it were that simple....
landtek...thanks for the tips.. Actually noticed a little sludge looking oil outta cooling rad...Also just noticing that she is down on power under loads.However, the loading seems much worst when simply motoring up a slope than actually diggin.She bogs right down..They are a shimmed pump so that should be fine...Thing thats got me is that its right across the cylinders...be easy if one were down so i could point the finger...Anyhow, shes goin in to the local bobmech to sort(shock horror at the thought of what the final bill will be...already spent $3000 Aussie(bout US$2000)
Well you learn something new everyday!!! The injectors in a deutz motor need to be located a certain way....Continuity is great....I removed my injectors when working on the head.. then my mech replaced them un be knownst to me ...180deg out. return fuel lines should be facing rocker..he installed them facing down...apparently this changes angle of injection therfore timing, fuel amount and she will then overheat...Case solved....thanks for your input folks!!!
Thanks for the update on the deutz. I have one in my Gehl.
Thats great to know, thanks for following up with the fix. Scott
That is incredible! I know of a Bobcat 863 that runs great, and has the returns pointing down. On mine I put them the right way because there was simply no way to rout the returns the wrong way. The fuel lines would interfere.