Looking to buy one. One needs a clutch and one has transmission issues. Won’t go Stay in A range.l supposedly the sift fork is worn is the story. How hard is it to put a clutch in one? The one needing clutch has had the engine rebuilt and the transmission gone through. I don’t know why they wouldn’t have installed a new clutch on that one. Are these typically good machines? Thanks
Actually the one with transmission trouble won’t stay in diets gear and won’t do into D range
I put a clutch in a similar tractor years ago. You have to split the tractor which isn't too bad but its all the other crap you have to move or take off to get there that's the pain in the ass. Its a big machine so a nice flat concrete floor is a must, also a couple of big floor jacks, or a overhead crane.
Tenfo sounds like a major job
So same amount of work to pull the transmission and repair that one ?
If I remember right, you have to split the tractor for that also. You could bring the transmission out the bottom of the machine if you could get the machine high enough, but it would be dangerous and difficult to maneuver.
Ok thanks again. Just trying to see if it’s feasible or makes financial sense to purchase the one needing a clutch. It’s a nice tractor
Its a doable job if you have the right equipment to support the weight of the halves. Although I did the one I did by myself, I wouldn't recommend that for someone that has little experience in it. If I am remembering right yet again, the job was between 5K-7K (around 1995 dollars).......most all of that was labor. I also had to replace some transmission cables and a few hoses then too.
Tenfo thanks again. I’ve never done one but I’ve split loaders before. Either way not sure I want to take on a project like that. I’m old now lol!
well, based on experience, its a miserable job. they are one of the most awkward tractors to work on unless you have the right tools and shop equipment. to do the clutch it is likely easiest to pull the engine. JD calls it a 'PERMA-CLUTCH' it is a wet clutch and usually takes some special JD tools to properly set it after it is installed on the flywheel. i still have a service manual and i can have a look in it to refresh my memory. the ABCD trans is in the rear section and the quad-range part is in the front section. the 8640 was a better tractor with several improvements, cooling system, lube circulated to the front axle, better improved engine, etc. a lot of 8630's got the original 619 engine replaced with the 8640 better 619 engine. the engine s/n tag on the block should tell if you take the info to a knowledgeable JD dealer and you should be able to tell if it was updated. around where i grew up probably 50% or more of the 8630's made were updated with the newer 619. if the tractor was worked hard, the original 619 would fail eventually, usually at fairly low hours, sometimes covered by warranty. my dad had an 8630 and then an 8640. i spent lots of hours on them. they were not a bad tractor for their time.
Hey thanks sounds like good info. Sounds like it’s just more than I want to deal with really. The one with transmission issues is right here a mile from me. It’s not as well dated for tractor as the other one at least from the pics of the other one but it would be cheaper in the long run and do what we need it to do.
The one w rebuilt engine has a 50 series engine. Is that the newer series?
should be. if its a 50 series engine, it should have the crankshaft driven oil pump. still a 619. before the engine is removed for a clutch repair, the clutch pressure should be checked if i remember correctly. you could remove the engine and clutch and then take the whole engine to a deere dealer to have them do the clutch finger adjustments with the special tool before you slap the engine back in
Tenfo thanks.
$200/ton is the right price for one of those tractors not in working condition. In my Dad's words "I never knew anything with that large of tires could ride so rough, be so clumsy, and have so little power." And if the tractor shows any signs of having a dozer blade mounted it is only worth the $200/ton even running. The engine is a stressed member of the frame, and the loads from the dozer will distort the block enough to cause oiling problems. This tractor helped put Kinze Manufacturing on the map. Kinze would install subframe mounted 855 Cummins and made a real tractor out of them.
Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't that the 8850 that kinze repowered with the cummins 855, no? I've only ever seen the 8850 conversions but i could be wrong. 20 years ago, the Kinze conversion was about $30,000 cad, about the same as a JD reman + labour but the kinze conversion took a month and the customer paid for the trucking to their facility which also added to the cost. but at least you had a much better powered tractor
From Jon Kinzenbaw's autobiography "Fifty Years of Disruptive Innovation", the first 86 series Deere repower was a 8630 done in 1988. From 1988 through 2007 Kinze Power Products re-powered over 600 Deere 8630, 8640, 8650, and 8850 tractors. The 8850 had Deere's stupid attempt at a little V8 diesel. One of their worst engines, poorly executed at a high price.
I stand corrected. In the 86 series did they use an 855 or an L10?
The book only mentions 855. Deere itself saw what a good idea it was and used the 855 in the largest of the next generation, the 8960.
Ya and they bragged that it was their all-new 14L engine according to their brochures. i remember getting into a debate with a jd salesman at the time
OK so now we’re looking at a 9180 case Steiger with an 855 Cummins in it how does that compare to the end 14 Cummins thank you
As far as i know, if original, it is a big cam 855 with about 375hp. What does the engine tag say? It may have step timing? How many hrs? Powershift or standard? I have heard(unconfirmed) that the standard trans can be hard to get parts for probably because the powershift was more widely used between models. The 12 spd powershift should be a Fuji which is like a Twin Disc copy. The powershift is expensive to repair but most powershifts are. The axles are made by Raba and diff lock was optional. It is desirable for heavy scraper work. Not many i have seen had diff locks. The main hydraulic pump was Vickers axial piston. If extra hyd capacity is needed, there is an add-on kit available through companies such as Atom Jet. Overall, a good tractor in my opinion. As with any equipment, the highest serial number range in a given model is usually the best due to the ongoing changes during production. These are just my personal opinions, so take it for what its worth
8000 ish hrs power shift
I definitely value your opinion because u seem to know a lot about a lot lol. Thanks again
Not really, just know a little about a lot, but about 30 years ago i worked at a WFE dealership that had also been a Steiger dealer since the mid to late '70s. They lost Steiger when CIH grabbed them up and were only able to sell a few red ones before the local CIH dealership took over and laughed all the way to the bank. We still worked on the green or red steigers after the warranty was off because we had some loyal customers and we had the service manuals, service tools and experience
Tenfo. I actually talked to the farmer that bought that tractor new and traded it in. He said that was the best tractor he ever owned. Bought it new and right out the gate he said an afterburner on side of the engine was leaking. They came out and fixed it and never had to work on it again. After speaking with him I feel much better. He traded in two of them because they were getting some age on them. I ran him down so he had no idea I was contacting him. Said the cab was noisy because the insulation has basically gone due to age. We may be able to repair that idk. Thanks for your help!!
Afterburner? I think you mean aftercooler? If its the grey perforated foam covering parts of the interior, you should be able to buy it in bulk from a supplier and cut to fit or use the old foam for a pattern. The proper foam may still be available through CIH but it will likely be expensive.
Yeah he called it afterburner lol. Not sure what foam he’s referring to either. We’ll know soon though. Thanks again!
Thanks but we completed the repair it was a biatch lol. We’re just not set up to do it. Because of the design of how’s it built u have to cut some bushings and pins out. All in all it wasn’t that bead just aggravating. I will say I won’t be doing it again!!