Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

864 Bobcat won’t lift or tilt.

StevefromNC · 2021-05-13 16:03

My Bobcat which was built in 1999 won’t tilt or lift. Replaced the solenoid valve coil which was suggested from Bobcat after calling them but that didn’t fix the problem. Called Bobcat again and this time they said that it probably is the seat sensor,I wasn’t aware that this model even had one!? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance! Steve.

Replies36
  1. #1StevefromNC2021-05-15 14:59

    I checked all the wiring too.

  2. #2StevefromNC2021-05-15 15:00

    Is there some way to test out the system?

  3. #3StevefromNC2021-05-16 16:42

    Could this be the problem: 10-volt coil with Deutsch connector with nut for proportional control only for the hydraulic control valve?

  4. #4truecountry2021-05-18 21:02

    sounds like a safety feature ..does it have front window or park brake release

  5. #5truecountry2021-05-18 21:04

    google bobcat parts and enter serial number there and go thur list ..im not a bobcat tech but have cat and john deere and case

  6. #6willie592021-05-18 21:44

    A '99 model G series was the very early models of the G when they transitioned from the F series machines so I'm not sure what BICS system it has. Does it have the BICS controller located on the back cab wall beside the seat back or is the BICS panel on the left cab control panel? To my knowledge Bobcat tossed the seat switch by the time they started producing the G series, but again, that's a very first generation G so I'm not certain about that. If it has a seat switch you can easily tell by raising the cab and check the panel under where the seat mounts, if it has a seat switch you'll see the wires.

  7. #7StevefromNC2021-05-19 10:44

    Thanks for reply! It has a park brake release.

  8. #8StevefromNC2021-05-19 10:47

    Thanks for your reply!The BICS panel is on the left cab control panel.

  9. #9willie592021-05-19 20:39

    Ok, if it has the standard G series left cab panel with the BICS module incorporated in the panel like the pic I've posted, then we need to discuss how a G series works. Problem: lift/tilt won't unlock to operate. Again, assuming it's like all other G series machines. When you first power up a G series, even before you start it, you should hear one long beep from the alarm located at the bottom of the left panel. This is the main controller doing a system test and also lets you know the alarm is working. If you don't hear that one long beep at power up then you need to look into fixing that. Once you start the machine, if at any time during operation you hear three short beeps from the alarm that's the main controller alerting you to a fault. At that moment push and hold down the headlight button, this will bring up code(s) in the hour meter display for the fault that caused the alert. If your lift/tilt won't unlock that would typically cause an alert on a G series machine.

  10. #10StevefromNC2021-05-20 12:08

    Thanks for all the info! I do get the long beep when first powering up. Once I get home from work tonight I’ll go ahead and see if it gives me the error code after hearing the three beeps and pushing and holding down the headlight button,I’ll post back after that. Thanks again!

  11. #11StevefromNC2021-05-20 19:21

    Did what you suggested and the error code displayed was 17-06,looked it up it my booklet,Hydraulic lock hold valve solenoid short to ground.

  12. #12willie592021-05-20 21:56

    Yes, code 17-06 is hyd lock valve solenoid short to ground. Again, I'm not familiar with the 864 and have no manual on it, but if you replaced the BICS lock valve solenoid and your getting that short to ground code it's likely you have a short in the wiring harness going to the coil. Try disconnecting the harness plug at the solenoid and see if you still get the 17-06 or if it changes to 17-07

  13. #13StevefromNC2021-05-21 11:26

    Thanks,will give that a try tonight!

  14. #14StevefromNC2021-05-21 17:21

    Did that,still getting error code 17-06.

  15. #15willie592021-05-21 21:44

    If you're still getting 17-06 when you unplug the harness connector from the BICS lock solenoid then you either have a failed main controller or a short to ground in the wiring harness between the main controller and the solenoid. I have to ask just to be sure, are you certain you're working with the BICS lock solenoid located on the main control valve? If you're certain you're working with the correct solenoid valve then I'd start by checking the harness. Since I don't have a manual for that model I'm not sure what wire # it is and which terminal it connects to at the main controller, but if it's like later G series machine the harness connector wire at the solenoid should be a light green wire, the black wire should be the ground wire. If it is a light green wire, peel back into the harness insulator and see if you can find a number on the wire, like 4410. Follow the harness bundle back to the main controller and look for scuffed spots or rodent damage.

  16. #16StevefromNC2021-05-22 08:44

    Thanks once again,I’ll check into that today and get back to you! I did find a mouse nest!

  17. #17Vetech632021-05-22 08:57

    Yeah, look for this crap

  18. #18StevefromNC2021-05-22 10:43

    Thanks,will do!

  19. #19StevefromNC2021-05-22 18:45

    I traced the wires,they seem to be alright,all the way back to the main controller. I was wondering if the control solenoids might have something to do with it? I also checked the main controller,it looks good too!

  20. #20willie592021-05-22 21:18

    If you're referring to the spool lock solenoids those are different wires from the main controller and have different codes for faults on those circuits, the BICS lock solenoid is on its own dedicated wires from the main controller, no connection to other wires or circuits

  21. #21StevefromNC2021-05-23 13:32

    Thanks !

  22. #22StevefromNC2021-05-23 13:37

    thanks! I just got done checking the wiring harness again and all the grounds,cleaned the grounds. Couldn’t find the numbers on the wires though. I’ll attach some pictures .

  23. #23willie592021-05-23 21:50

    Have you gone all the way to the main controller, you have to remove those panels to the left of your left foot to access that

  24. #24StevefromNC2021-05-24 12:18

    How do I remove the panels? Thanks!

  25. #25willie592021-05-24 21:36

    Well, it's been a few years since I've done that so the details are sketchy. I can't recall for certain, but I think you have to take that bulkhead loose where the drive sticks are mounted on, maybe not remove it completely, but I think it at least has to **** back a bit to allow removal of those panels that cover the main controller. I think Bobcat made that "not so easy to access" to keep spaghetti mechanics from knackering up those wires.

  26. #26StevefromNC2021-05-25 06:50

    Thanks! I’ll give it a try this evening!

  27. #27StevefromNC2021-05-25 18:08

    Would you mind telling me what or wherewhere the bullkhead is located? I thought that the harness ran up through the back left corner in the rear of the cab,then to the headliner and then the controller? Not sure though!

  28. #28willie592021-05-25 21:54

    The wires that run up behind the cab to the headliner is called the "cab harness", the frame harness is what you're working on, the wires for the BICS lock valve go directly from the main controller to the lock valve solenoid via the frame harness. If you're sitting in the seat there's two sheet metal cover plates to the left of your left foot that has to be removed to access the main controller and that portion of the frame harness, but I think those plates are trapped by the bulkhead right behind your legs where the drive sticks and the fuse box is mounted. Something in my memory tells me you have to unblolt and move that bulkhead to release those plates that hide the main controller.

  29. #29StevefromNC2021-05-26 17:59

    Thanks once again,I’ll check on it tonight!

  30. #30StevefromNC2021-05-28 08:27

    Got home late last couple of nights but will check it out this weekend! Thanks!

  31. #31StevefromNC2021-05-29 10:10

    Took the plates off and inspected the wires,there’s no damaged wires. Do you think it could be the main controller for the tilt/lift error to show?

  32. #32willie592021-05-29 20:59

    That's always a possibility, only person who could verify would be a Bobcat tech as the software to plug into the main controller is proprietary to Bobcat techs only. Typically you would get a "short to battery" code when the main controller is the problem, not "short to ground", but again, it's possible. Before I called a Bobcat tech I would test that wire though, it's just one wire going from the main controller to the BICS hyd lock valve. Only problem is I can't advise which wire number it is since I don't have a manual for that machine.

  33. #33StevefromNC2021-05-30 09:16

    Thanks! I’ll check it out today! Where would be a good place to order a manual from? I already looked online but I want to make sure that I’m getting the right one! Directly from Bobcat?

  34. #34willie592021-05-30 21:16

    Bobcat could supply you a manual, either hardcopy or disk. You might find one on the internet but manuals are copyright materials so I don't know

  35. #35StevefromNC2021-05-31 19:33

    I took all the plates off and checked all the wires but they all look good but I couldn’t find the wire # for the one that goes to the solenoid valve coil.

  36. #36StevefromNC2021-06-13 10:54

    Update: Had a Bobcat mechanic diagnose it yesterday,turns out it’s the engine control modem. Where could I get it from at a good price? Thanks!