Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

864 timing

Jrykoecher ยท 2014-09-07 20:09

My 864 quit running like you turned the key off. It turned out that the fuel control rack was bent. I got it straightened and freed up so it works great. I got the lines bled up to the injectors. It seems like it tries to start but just won't and it smokes just a little bit. I thought maybe it jumped time. The belt is on and it looks in good shape. I pulled a number four injector and bought it up to top dead center. I took the cam alignment bolt out and the hole lined up. I haven't been able to get at the crank alignment hole yet but I'm wondering if I have to. If I'm at tdc on number four and if the cam aligns, doesn't that mean that it's in time. I've read on this forum that a guy called crewchief888 has done this in the field without pulling the engine. Question 1. How do I get at the crank alignment bolt and do I have to. Question 2. What else could cause it not to start. I haven't checked for bent pushrods but I'm not sure if it jumped time anyway.

Replies4
  1. #1crewchief8882014-09-07 20:22

    crank/cam timing is done with special screw in pins. on the backside of the engine, just above the pump mount, you'll find a 10mm head plug (just like the one for cam timing) in the block. it's kinda PITA to find unless you know where it is. if the timing has "jumped" you'll need 2 of those pins, one to lock the crank and one for the cam. theres also a special tension guage and procedure for replacing the belt and setting the tensioner duetz spec is approx 3000 hrs on belt replacement. BTW theres no reason to pull the head,replace the bent pushrods and adjust the valves. i've NEVER seen a bent valve or a hole in a piston from jumped time or a broken belt. before you go too far into this, check your fuses, relays and fuel shutoff solenoid.... :drinkup

  2. #2Jrykoecher2014-09-07 20:39
  3. #3crewchief8882014-09-07 20:48
  4. #4Jrykoecher2014-09-07 21:12

    Thanks for the info! As far as the timing jumping I was grasping at straws. Belt and tension seem good. Maybe I don't have it bled as good as I think I did.