Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New holland to bob tech universal box latch DIY

Dutchofsc ยท 2014-09-09 00:34

Just wanted to share my project. I have an l785 with the old style, new holland design attachment plate adapter. Since the universal bobcat design is the industry standard, and I could not find a bucket that would work, I decided to buy an adapter /conversion plate. What I wanted was $750 plus another $150 for shipping. NO WAY! I decided to make one. I purchased a skeletonized bucket and tractor to bobcat latch box adapter and cut the tabs of. I purchased 6 pieces 1/2 x3 x12 at my local metal shop. A buddy boarded some holes and made some bushings for me. I measured the old plate, welded everything up square and true, some paint and ready to install. I drilled some 5/16 holes for pin retention bolts. In case anyone else was trying to do something similar, the tractor adapter was something similar to this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KC6MXMA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UMJD02VNELD Not exactly the same one but very close. I added bracing where I saw necessary. Besides the bucket and conversion plate (it was a package deal, I love craigslist) I'm into this project for 60 bucks, that covers the metal plate and bracing material. This does not include the machining work or bushings. I traded some skid steer work for that labor. Add to that about 8 hours of cutting, grinding, welding etc. I had to take into account welded duty cycle, cooling of metal, taking my time and enjoying the project, so you might be able to do the job faster. I hope this helps someone.

Replies5
  1. #1Dutchofsc2014-09-09 00:39

    More pictures More pictures

  2. #2caterpillarmech2014-09-09 05:31

    Looks great. Do you have a zerk anywhere to grease the pins? Just asking, not trying to be a downer?

  3. #3mitch5042014-09-09 07:29

    Nice work! How do you like the skeleton bucket? Where abouts in SC are you?

  4. #4Dutchofsc2014-09-09 09:26

    The zerk question is valid. The cylinder part has threaded holes on top for easy access, currently missing zerk as I just purchased this a few weeks ago. The bottom pins have zerks on he sides. I'm in Columbia, north east side. My property is in fairfield county.

  5. #5Dutchofsc2014-09-09 09:29

    The bucket does great for me right now. I have a lot of wood debris all over the property after logging operations a few years back. This allows me to pick up the wood and leave most of the dirt in place. This bucket is stout! I will need to buy a regular bucket soon. Maybe I'll get a 4 in 1 if the auxiliary hydraulics on my L785 work.