Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

86J 951B Tempurature

1466IH · 2014-06-17 00:07

Just thought i would ask some of the guys that have been around these things a bit if there is anything that can be done to help the machine run cooler. It was 95degrees F here today and i could only work tor about half and hour then let it sit and cool down for ten minutes. it does great on 70 degree days but today i should have just packed up and went home. I know the 955's were known for running hot and there was much you could do so are these the same way

Replies4
  1. #1Bob/Ont2014-06-17 09:40

    Engine Coolant or trans oil? Later Bob

  2. #2kshansen2014-06-17 10:09

    If it is a transmision over heat: Something to think about: Oil Temperature Bypass Valve The oil temperature bypass valve controls the amount of oil that can go through the oil cooler. The bypass valve is controlled by the temperature of the oil from the orifice. When the temperature of the oil is less than 135° F (57° C), the valve is open and lets most of the oil go through the valve instead of the oil cooler. When the temperature of the oil reaches 135° F (57° C), the valve starts to close. This will permit more oil to flow through the oil cooler. As the temperature of oil increases the valve continues to close. When the temperature of the oil gets to 170°F (77° C), the valve will be completely closed. This causes all of the oil to go through the oil cooler. From the oil cooler, the oil then goes to the lubrication relief valve. Oil Cooler The air-cooled oil cooler uses air that goes through the fins of the cooler to remove the heat from the oil. I was not aware that Cat used a system like this but then I work mostly on Front End Loader on tires! I could see if this valve is not working it could cause an over heat problem. Do you have a way to check temperature on inlet and outlet of the oil cooler? IR temp gun? I don't have a spec for it but I'd guess someone could help with that.

  3. #3tctractors2014-06-17 15:59

    Better think again on the oil cooler item as the 951B copped the water cooled unit bolted to the side of the 330C engine, this is going to be due for a strip and clean of the water side of the cooler plus the flushing out of the water system throughout the radiator also cylinder block as a start, the cooled water passes from the water pump through the engine oil filter housing to the trans cooler then into the cylinder block, it might be also a good time to service up the transmission some. tctractors

  4. #41466IH2014-06-19 15:24

    Sorry guys I've been busy lately and kind of forgot about the machine and this thread. I am in the middle of wheat harvest and the loader has been sitting idle for a few days. What do you suggest using to clean the rad and block with. where is the transaction cooler located is it up in the hard nose with the rad? What kind of servicing to the trans are you thinking? It still pushes great granted I wasn't even thought of when these things were new. I've only ever ran this and a 955k from the list of older cats so I don't really know how they did when new Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk