Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

87` 580K.. won’t move

Emerson ยท 2012-08-25 17:36

I was using the backhoe today. same as I've been doing for the last week or 2.. Turning into my a clearing and I lost all forward and reverse.. I didn't hear any loud noise.. no big bang or grinding just nothing.. I checked the linkage and all seems good.. Not sure what the problem is except it's probably internal and beyond me right now. Thoughts? Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1alrman2012-08-25 19:05

    Chances are you have a stuck de-clutch button on either your loader control or gearshift lever. Try disconnecting the wires at the transmission cut out solonoid shown below.......... I have to ask this, but the 4 speed gearshift does has a cog engaged, doesn't it? - you wouldn't be the first to have been caught by this.

  2. #2Emerson2012-08-25 19:16

    as far as I know neither of those functions work. hahaha.. you mean am I in gear.. you know I didn't even look.. oh I hope that is it..

  3. #3BajanBigBear2012-08-25 19:22

    Any chance you guys have the torque settings for the flex plate and torque converter

  4. #4alrman2012-08-25 20:57

    Welcome BajanBigBear! 3/8" bolts for flexplate to convertor 30ft lbs - 5/16" bolts for flexplate to flywheel 15ft lbs.

  5. #5Emerson2012-08-25 21:35

    Well my ego isn't to big to admit that I completely over reacted.. my wife thought I was crazy heading back out at 10pm to go check on the tractor but I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep until I checked.. At it had popped out of gear and I didn't notice. I\ve been doing the same pattern the last 4-5 days and didn't even think to look.. Thanks Alrman. I'll be able to sleep tonight!!

  6. #6alrman2012-08-25 22:03

    You're welcome Emerson. Like I said earlier, you would not be the first to do this. I have actually driven to job locations & put machines back into gear for people who have done the same thing before. When I asked if it was in gear their reply would go something like - "of course it's in gear, what do you think I am......." Their faces turn an amazing shade of red when I hop on the tractor & drive off - & then hand them a call out fee bill......

  7. #7Emerson2012-08-26 06:46

    As soon as I grabbed the lever I knew that was it. It looked like it was in gear but you could feel that it wasn't engaged. At least I'll know for next time. Thanks Again

  8. #8BajanBigBear2012-08-28 14:03

    Looking for torque settings for the 4t 390 engine for all the bearings overhauling my dads sk

  9. #9mikey12012-08-28 20:48

    Boy if they could all be that easy of a fix lol shweww I know that made your day finding it was out of gear

  10. #10Emerson2012-08-28 22:38

    you have no idea:drinkup:drinkup