Anyone know what kind of oil to use in my transmission on this cat 936? The dealership told me any 30w or 50w oil will work but someone else told me to not use engine oil in the transmission..? What about aw46 or aw32 hydraulic oil? I'd prefer to use 15-30 or 15-40 engine oil since I use that in the engine. My old d6 uses same oils which makes it easy. What if I put 15-40 engine oil in there? I don't know what the previous owner used so i'm also wondering about possible mixing of oils if I put 15-40 in there. Any help would be great since I need to get this thing back to work Monday!
I can not help but tctractors or Nige will be able to fill you in
Awesome. Can't wait to hear what they have to say.
Cat TDTO4 or equivalent. Later Bob
I'm hoping that when the dealership told you to use 30 or 50 oil in the transmission they were referring to an oil that meets Caterpillar TO-4 specification for power transmission use, not an oil for engine service....... The original transmision oil specification for your 936 was for an oil meeting Cat TO-2 specification but that has now disappeared and been replaced by TO-4. For the climate in your location I would suggest using an SAE30 oil meeting TO-4 spec, or as Bob says you can buy SAE30 TDTO oil from your Cat dealer.
What would you recommend as an equivalent oil for the to-4 specs? I've been doing quite a bit of research but haven't been able to find anything as of yet. Just want to make sure I'm getting things right with this machine. We have a chevron oil/gas location here and if I remember correctly the guy swears by tractor fluid...but I don't think so in my transmission
There is no "equivalent" to TO-4, it's a specification. Either an oil meets it or it doesn't. Although TO-2 & TO-4 were specifications originally produced by Caterpillar all the major oil companies supply an oil meeting Caterpillar TO-4. The oil sold by Cat dealers is called TDTO which stands for Transmission & Drive Train Oil. You're correct to think that. He's talking out of his *** ..... The Chevron product that meets TO-4 is Chevron Drive Train Fluid HD, available in SAE 10W, 30, 50 & 60 viscosities. You would be looking for the SAE 30 variety. From the Data Sheet ........ "Chevron Drive Train Fluid HD is recommended for use in Caterpillar transmissions, final drives, wet brakes, Allison Powershift transmissions, torque converters, and hydraulic systems requiring a fluid meeting Allison C4 or Caterpillar TO-4 or TO-2 specification."
Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it. Knowledge is something that is usually learned the hard way but luckily it isn't for me this time . I've been on this site ( http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheettext.aspx?matguid=23df7591e4b140a4a33d13713f3b2e9f ) reading a lot and trying to learn as much as I can. Definitely going to see if I can pick up some of the Chevron Drive Train Fluid HD somewhere in town here. Thanks again guys!
What would you recommend for the hydraulic tank? I believe the HYDO-10 is what they call for...
Any good quality 10W (or AW32) hydraulic oil. If you end up buying Chevron TO-4 oil for the transmission maybe see if you can get the same brand of hydraulic oil.
Thanks so much Nige! One more question. I've called the CAT dealer here about 5 times and get different answers all the time. When I check the transmission dipstick do I check it with the engine running or do I check it with it off? I've literally received both answers from the shop guys and the parts guys. One guy even said I need to check it with both and add if one is low...the thing is is that when I check it with the engine off it shows at the top of the full line; when it's running it isn't even on the dipstick. Thanks!
Check your dipstick carefully. It should have markings on both sides. On one side should be something like "SAFE STARTING RANGE" while the other will be marked "ENGINE IDLING. HOT OIL". If you look carefully you'll see that the marks on opposite sides of the dipstick are at different heights, the side with the engine running being the lower of the two. So in summary you should check the level using one side of the stick before starting and then use the other side when the machine is running and up to temperature. However - If there are markings on only one side of the stick then the oil level should be checked with the oil at normal operating temperature and the engine idling. This means that when the machine is stopped and cold you need to see the oil level over the FULL mark on the dipstick.
Thanks a ton! what is your take on aw46 in the hydraulic tank? just curious since you give good advice.
The only reason I would use AW46 instead of AW32 would be in really high ambient temperatures (consistently above 80DegF year round) or if hydraulic system overheating was a problem. I wouldn't have thought that would be an issue in your location. With AW46 you may find the hydraulic system a little slow in the depths of winter until you get the machine fully warmed up.
Awesome. I may end up going with the aw32 in the future...i have a little bit of 46 left and might just use that instead. I really appreciate all the help Nige!!