Got a 99 873 with just over 1300 hours. Went to start it the other day and the glow plug wouldn't work. It was cold, around 20F and was colder that night. I had the block heater on for a day before trying to start. Glow plug light would come on then shut off. I tried starting ether, but didn't help. Ran the battery down, so hooked it up to my truck. Pulled the codes and got 21-03 (21- Glow Plugs - 03 Error OFF (Detects OFF when should be on)) Got pissed and walked away. Next day I opened the fuse and relay box and swapped out the Glow Plug relay with the rear light one and everything worked. Used if for an hour or so and everything was working just fine, glow plugs would fire for about 5 seconds when I shut it down and restarted. Got a new relay from NAPA and pulled all fuses and relays and coated with dielectric grease, put it all back together, all's good. Wrong! Tonight, tried to start her and same thing, glow plugs come on and say 29 seconds, then shut down. Open the fuse box cover and all's good in there, swapped the relays and nothing this time. Didn't fix it. For some reason, it did start, maybe cause it ran a couple of days ago, but I know if I leave it for a week or so, it won't. Does anyone have a suggestion for where I should look? Thanks in advance.
I'd take the glow plugs out and put them to a 12v source and make sure they are glowing bright red. At 29 seconds the engine should start right up without being plugged in.
Yeah, but the glow plugs would not come on, just show 29 seconds, then off, no 28, 27, 26 etc. Turns out it was the relay not working, but NOT because the relay was bad. I called my local dealer, Bobcat of Springfield (ma) and the service guy was very helpful. He stated he was sure it was the plug connections , the relays plug into, coming loose. He suggested, and I did, lift the cab, feel around in back of the relay & fuse board and check for plugs that are loose. There's a rubber cover, but I was able to push, what felt like the plugs connections, back in and have no problems since.
hello On your equipment there are instructions for repair, operator's manual and parts catalog ready to sell Interested? If so, write the serial number and E-mail