As the title says I've got an 88' F700 with the Lucas brake system. Wheel cylinder on ps started to leak so time to disassemble. I think my problem started out small but I put off replacement of the brake can which I believe leaked on to seal located between can and wheel cylinder. What size an fittings are the supply lines, I need to get plugs and get it tore down? thank you for looking
Are you talking about the brake line fittings? I think they're just common brake line flare fittings. If you're talking about the oil line going to the parking brake chamber, I can't remember if that was a 37 degree JIC flare or a 45 degree SAE flare fitting. The size and threads are the same, only thing different is the degree of flare.
Oil line to park brake chamber.
I can just as easily get both just need to know size. Thanks willie59 for the quick response. Don
Well, I can't remember if they are JIC or SAE. If it's JIC, if a 7/8" wrench fits it, it's a #8. If a 1" wrench fits it, it's a #10.
Thanks Again.
I got around to caging the park brake and removing drums, its worse than I had expected..............brakes are almost brand new! I'd feel a little better replacing old worn parts but current brakes look as good as new backing plate assembly, even the same brand. Frustrating. :Banghead
Just buy a complete backing plate assembly with shoes and wheel cylinder. Never had much luck rebuilding the cylinders and if you have brake fluid on the shoes you'll never get it all out and it will not stop well. Also you you get a warrenty for the complete assembly.
Already purchased, I have to buy the park brake chambers too. Cheapest place I've found so far is a local Ford dealer. It's always something isn't it.
Ok, I installed new backing plates ($$$) and park brake chambers ($$$), bleed the brakes and adjusted to .025". I went for a test drive and my pedal has a lot of free travel before it does anything. I'm thinking that readjusting rear brakes will take care of this. The manual states .020 for burnished shoes, just wondering if anyone has any input on adjustment before I get to it?
I typically jack rear wheels off the ground so I can spin wheels by hand, adjust the brake until I just begin to hear it rub drum, not heavy friction rub. After that, they typically self adjust fairly quickly.
I worked on one of these POS systems back in 1991 , the guys driving the truck put the wrong fluid in the res....... WOW did that F things up , almost every rubber part swelled up like 3 times the size after two days....... So I know you had a check book draining day...... Your best to replace the wheel parts in pairs ,service and parking brakes hydroic parts all at the same time or your shoes will be oiled up again sooner then you want. .02