Need help please been trying for 2 days now
What seems to be the problem? Please be specific, and no doubt we can figure something out.
Thank you for responding I am in need of serious help. I am the 3rd party involved here this truck one of the techs took the pump off and had it sent out to be rebuilt the people that rebuilt it are well known so I know the pump is done right. The guy tech installed the pump the engine tag and the pump both say 21 degrees btc for timing . So he put cylinder number one at tdc on compression stroke and installed pump the pump can only go in one way and it slid right in. Also all procedures we are getting to time it are incorrect due to this pump does not have a tme sensor nor a plug this is an early e6 4v. So we got in touch with a guy that knows these pretty we'll and he said yea some early pumps did not come with them so you cannot static time it and A and B timing light cannot be used due to no sensor. So he said to take out the valve and spring out of cylinder number one injector port on the pump and put cap back on which i did. I blocked off both return ports on pump. Made sure air tank had 120 pounds. Using a compressed air bottle with shop supplies air and full of fuel I applied 10 pounds of fuel pressure to feed in the pump and rotated the engine over untill fuel shut off for port closing but I am not lining up on my timing marks on the balancer actually not even comming close so I keep going and still do not come close. If I assemble everything and try to start it gets smoke out the exhaust And I try bleeding and it sounds like it wants to start but won't . So yeah that's my story and I need help. If anyone can help me I would high appreciate it I will even give my number to call me and guide me through it. Thank you
You sound as though you have some good advice so far, I never used a pressured source ,just had a coffee can with a fitting brazed in the bottom. Make sure the balancer is on the right way, it will go on reversed, if it is the timing marks will be wrong. On older engines things will get mixed and matched and you don't know what went on before you got your turn in the barrel. I have a friend that chased a Mack timing problem for hours until he realized that the balancer was on reversed. I am assuming you know how to change the timing on the gear by loosening the bolts and turning the pump to register?
The truck came in running before the pump was taken off to be rebuilt. What I need to know is how to time the pump without a A&B timing light since this is an older e6 without a tme sensor or a plug for it. I am certain I am timing this thing wrong.
Let's start at the balancer, first find the degree numbers on it, then the timing pointer on the gear case. Line up 21 deg with the pointer, then check the spill on the pump. Now if it is off, adjust the gear on the pump, the one behind the plate,so the spill stops at 21 deg. When you think you have it, back the crank up 1/4 turn and and try it again to see if it stops spill when the 21 deg mark lines up with the pointer. Take a breath, drink a cup of coffee, relax, you WILL beat this ,I have been there before and know frustration! It is a machine and you can make it do what you want!
Ok I aligned 21 with the pointer for pump and the cyl one at tdc and fuel shuts off way before timing marks lignin up. So loosen 4 pump bolts and can only rotate it to it bottoms out like a 1/4 turn and fuel still does not shut off
Please be sure the balancer is on the right direction, they will go on backwards and sometimes people have, to get some acc. drive pulleys to align. Did you by chance have the timing gears out? Please tell us what work was done aside from r&r of the inj. pump.
I Am pretty confident that the balancer is on the right way. And no sir the timing gears were not taken out just pump out and hub stayed in. I did pull the entire pump back out and did find the pin pushed down I'm not sure if that would cause anything. But any chance you can now just give me a procedure on how I should put the pump in and then timing after installation and I will try whatever you say. Thank you again I highly appreciate this.
Andrew, this is a head scratcher, but we will figure this out. I have a friend who has some old Motor service books and I will borrow one and look at it. It's been a few years since I worked on a Mack and need to brush up before I tell you something that's not right! I have spent the past few years on cummins and deere so I am a little rusty! Please be patient with me.
Sorry Andrew, the OT monster bit me huge at work, but I haven't forgotten you. Check and see if the correct timing marks are on the flywheel and seen through a hole with a pointer. It would or should have a bolt on cover on it. The marks will no doubt be dirty and hard to see if you have a system like this. If you have figured this out already please tell me the solution, I may run into this myself and need the remedy!
How did he solve this problem?