Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

weight of 3126 Cat engine??

John White ยท 2015-06-01 21:41

I have to pull the engine out of my truck. I was wondering what the engine would weigh with every thing on it including bell housing and flywheel. How big of engine hoist would I need? Would a 3 ton be big enough? Have you ever pulled one. Any tips or any thing I should watch out for. Any one happen to know the torque spec on the flywheel. Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2015-06-01 23:17

    The engine is around 1,100#, so probably under 1,500 total. A "3 ton" engine hoist usually has that capacity bottle jack powering it, the hoist isn't heavy enough unless you're talking about a 3 ton chain fall, that would be plenty.

  2. #2Nige2015-06-02 03:45

    Torque for flywheel bolts (which is what I assume you are looking for) - 90+/-15ft.lb. According to the book a Long Block is 1100 pounds, you'll need to add something on to that (maybe) unless you strip the engine of ancilliaries before removal.

  3. #3John White2015-06-02 07:04

    Thanks : Went and got my used engine 100 miles N. of Detroit. Supposed to be only 90K miles on it.