Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

888 case with pump leaking

davecampbell · 2019-02-12 08:52

I bought an 888 case with a pump issue. Included with the sale was a reman pump which I installed. Now about 50 hours later the pump appears to be leaking. Am I going to need anything special to split this pump? Where can I get parts for the pump? Thanks

Replies21
  1. #1uffex2019-02-12 15:35

    Good day I believe Hydromatik is part of Rexwroth - Bosch today if it the shaft seal leaking into the box the most probable cause is that of blocked case drain filter or worn shaft needing Speedy sleeve repair. I will check if we have any information in the archive and foward it on if there is any appropriate stuff. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2uffex2019-02-12 16:04

    I have checked your pump may not look quite like the illustrated but the principle is the same a radial shaft seal retained by a circlip be aware that a badly worn pump may have bearing play as well as excessive leakage. The radial seals you should be able to source from local suppliers once you have the old one out to measure as pattern go for the better quality if you can choose alternatively you could look for a pump repair outfit near by, the actual repair is straight forward providing it is a case of seal replacement. Kind regards Uffex

  3. #3davecampbell2019-02-12 17:04

    Shaft seal looks fine. Drive coupler is bad but it is dry in there. It appears to me to have been missing an o-ring when assembled. I think that will be a simple fix, but according to case the drive coupler is an obsolete part! part numbers are P7946242 or U7946242

  4. #4davecampbell2019-02-12 17:07

    I believe this is my leak!

  5. #5davecampbell2019-02-12 20:25

    Near as I can tell it is a Lovejoy LF50 coupler. Anyone know how I can get my hands on one quickly to get back on the job?

  6. #6TVA2019-02-12 20:39

    If Lovejoy will not work out call Heyes may be they can help you.

  7. #7TVA2019-02-12 20:40

    That pump need good lapping!

  8. #8TVA2019-02-12 20:46

    Is that the same machine you had broken regulator fork on? I see evidence of both external and crossport leakage, the external is the worst! I don’t know if lapping will help. Post more pictures please!!!

  9. #9davecampbell2019-02-12 22:53

    Those were the only 2 pics I took. Yes same machine that the fork broke on, this is the replacement pump. I took it apart real careful. It was leaking badly externally. I thought it was because it was missing one oring. Is it not supposed to have an oring in each hole?

  10. #10TVA2019-02-13 07:03

    Sorry! I meant not leaking outside, but leaking pressure to the case and between pressure and suction ports. Although I might miss interpret the reflection on shiny surface of something yellow for leak marks, but the matt streak between kidneys in top is most likely aftermath of contamination damage and you have small crossport leakage there.

  11. #11TVA2019-02-13 07:11

    What are those yellow stains?

  12. #12davecampbell2019-02-13 08:09

    I'm not sure what you are referring to

  13. #13TVA2019-02-13 08:15

    Look at the last picture, you have yellow stains on shiny part and even not shiny one to the right.

  14. #14davecampbell2019-02-13 08:23

    I see what you are referring to, it must be a reflection, because it didnt see them on the part.

  15. #15TVA2019-02-13 08:26

    That’s what I thought at first too, but the not shiny dark part on the right shouldn’t reflect anything.

  16. #16davecampbell2019-02-14 22:07

    The coupler is just listed as obsolete by CASE but it is made by Lovejoy and is used on several different excavators including hitachi. Lovejoy was out until march 25th so I had to get an aftermarket knockoff. Hope it lasts. I have 2 jobs waiting and can't see how I can put them off until march!

  17. #17Vetech632019-02-18 07:35

    I put a very similar one in a JD 350D just last year. I swear it looks identical. I cant vouch whether it is the same size or not, but it was available.

  18. #18davecampbell2019-02-19 16:29

    I did see that it was also used on several John Deere applications. Now I need to figure out where I can get a reseal kit for that pump. I got it back operating but with used o-rings out of the old pump.

  19. #19TVA2019-02-19 19:35

    If you can not find kit - most of the time o rings are standard, just measure the grooves and go on line and look for o ring size charts and you will be able to see what o ring you need to order. 88 series is rebranded Poclain and your pump most likely is first generation A8V. So I would go with metric o Rings. I like Marco Ruber website.

  20. #20TVA2019-02-19 19:38

    Take time to learn about static,dynamic, face seal, radial sealing, it’ll help you understand things better.

  21. #21davecampbell2019-02-20 21:28

    Case was able to order them for me. Thanks