Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

892 DLC track adjuster

Wilson892 ยท 2016-05-19 12:40

One of my track adjusters seems to be leaking grease around the grease fitting that takes the grease for adjustment I assume the relief is a bolt/plug to relieves the pressure to slack off the track but where does the grease exit. Thanks in advance, John.

Replies8
  1. #1lantraxco2016-05-19 13:59

    When you unscrew the grease valve under the grease nipple, it opens a tapered seat at the end, there's a groove cut in the threads to allow grease to come out under the head of the grease valve. Makes a huge mess usually.

  2. #2Wilson8922016-05-19 22:34

    Thanks Lantraxco, I checked today and found the plug loose and tightened it. Problem now is the grease zerk won't take grease and the locking grease fitting on my gun just pops off and you can't hold it on without ending up with a mitt full of grease. Of course the zerk seems to be metric and I did not have a 10mm wrench to remove it and see if it was clear and why the coupler would not latch on. Thanks again, John

  3. #3lantraxco2016-05-19 23:34

    Well, it is a Deertachi after all...

  4. #4tbone14712016-05-20 07:57

    I don't think that zerk is servicable. You have to replace the whole fitting. I keep extras in Stock for our 892elc. It seems everything we need to tension a track the fitting needs replaced. They are like $40 per fittting. Outrageous

  5. #5Wilson8922016-05-20 12:56

    Thanks guys will look into a new one. John

  6. #6Wilson8922016-05-20 20:41

    Just found out there just $74 dollars here in canada. John

  7. #7lantraxco2016-05-20 22:58

    It's the exchange rate. The angle zerk should be replaceable, you might try it and see if that's the problem, or pull the whole valve out and see if you can clear it. Try these folks http://torontotracparts.com/ Regina, SK on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Afterma...k-Adjuster-Grease-Valve-4255055-/121056260942

  8. #8mitch5042016-05-21 09:20

    The grease zerk is made into the valve on the old Cats, and seems to be made of warm butter. I got tired of $40 a pop, too. I just grind the zerk off, and drill and tap the valve to take a regular 1/4-28 grease fitting.