Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

8ll?

Stripmine ยท 2009-01-24 09:51

Hey guys I'm new to driving trucks the only thing I've driven was a 10 speed international. I see that some trucks have a 8LL transmission can anyone explain to me what it is and how that works? Thanks -Josh

Replies16
  1. #1cat3202009-01-24 13:48

    Here is a diagram of an eaton

  2. #2Stripmine2009-01-24 14:46

    Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for. :notworthy -Josh

  3. #3Greg2009-01-31 17:09

    10 speed is better. too much space between 3 and 4 and 7and 8.

  4. #4Eric2009-01-31 18:50

    I prefer an 18speed over all of them!! However, a 10 sp with a 4 spd progressive brownie is king!! Not a hill alive that can't be conquered!!!

  5. #5Greg2009-01-31 20:25

    I love an 18 also. Got one in my Mack quad axle dump truck. My Mack lowboy tractor has a Fuller 10 speed with deep reduction which gives it 15 which is also a great set up.

  6. #6John H2009-01-31 20:31

    I'm a big fan of the 18 also.

  7. #7Preppypyro2009-02-04 10:46

    I prefer a 18 speed over anything too. I do prefer an 8ll over a regular eaton 10 speed though, but im just used to the pattern of the 8ll.

  8. #8Greg2009-02-04 14:51

    that is a poor excuse for 8ll preference. Do you mean the 8ll "round the world" pattern?

  9. #9Preppypyro2009-02-04 20:26

    Not sure what you mean by the round the world pattern. The 8ll is what Im used to, and thats why I prefer it, thats about the best reason to have for preference. Drive what your used too. I notice no space between 3 and 4, or 7 and 8 in my gravel truck either. The deep reduction comes in handy too, something that the 10 speed just doesnt have. I also HATE the goofy 5th to 6th shift on a ten speed. Im sure a guy can get used to it and all though.

  10. #10ben46a2009-02-08 15:23

    8LL's are king for vocational trucks, mixers, Dumps, and in town semi dumps. For out on the road ill take an 18 speed. The 8LLs deep reduction can get you out of many sticky spots.

  11. #11Greg2009-02-09 11:34

    Lots and lots and lots of dump trucks around here with 18's in them. The mixer boys buy a lot of allisons. Or, a ten with a deep reduction is better than an 8ll too.

  12. #12mackman2009-02-09 19:59

    Two sticks make you look cool.

  13. #13cat3202009-02-09 20:20

    always fun to drive

  14. #14Steve Frazier2009-02-09 22:10

    For about 5 minutes.....

  15. #15willie592009-02-09 22:33

    Steve, your hurtin' me downin' my old school ride! The first "big truck" I drove was a '62 White with a C160 Cummins and a Fuller 5 main / 4 Aux. Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't any problem operating the tranny's. I'm not saying it was as "easy shifting" as modern transmissions, but it was kinda fun operating two of them. The tricky part was dropping the engine rpm to upshift the main then bounce it back up a bit to slap the aux back to low gear to start over again, since these tranny's were a gear meshing with a gear, no syncro's. I haven't got to run the 18. I've drove the 8LL, the 9, the 10, the RT13 and the RTO13, a Maxitorque, and various Spicer setups. Never was a fan of the 13. The 8LL was OK. My favorite for ease of shifting was the 10 speed. But that's just me.

  16. #16Kgmz2009-02-09 23:14

    If you can shift the 13, the 18 is the same with the addition of having the spiltter in the lower gears also. Also some 13 speeds can be changed to a 18 speed just by changing the shifter knob controls so that there is not a stop preventing the splitter from being used in low range. If I remember right the 15713 could be changed to a 15718 and the others with a torque rating higher than the 15713.