Hey guys and gals. I have a 87 western star with a 444 cummins and an 8ll tranny. The problem I am experiencing is, when I shift from 4th to 5th, I am experiencing a slight grind. I (like most others) shift with no clutch, and I have tried various ways to shift, plunging the plunger at different times, etc. to rule out my driving, or anything else, but it still does this. Anyone know these transmissions at all, and could point me in the right direction where to start looking for the problem?
THe syncros are probably wornout. Only way to fix it is to pull the tranny and replace. Make sure you check the gears where the syncros engage for wear also
Thanks for the reply. I know very little about this stuff, but I dont know if the syncros would be worn (but you could very well be right, bear with me!) Before last winter it was working perfect, I let it sat over last winter, and then this last spring it started to do what I described in my first post. Generally speaking, if the syncros were worn, would they not show some sort of smaller symptoms, that gradually got worse, instead of just starting to grind, out of the blue??
we have a 87 international that was doing that..... found out it was the spliter that was the culprit. the actuator on the tranny had a bad o ring so wasn't engaging fast enough so when you went for 5th it was between the high and low sets.... not sure if this helps but figured I would give my 2 cents
Thanks for your reply as well! Do you recall how you repaired that problem, and what your symptoms were? Im really hoping I dont have to yank the tranny out, I would try a few other things before that!
On the back of your transmission above the drive shaft, you'll see a plate that bolts to the tranny with 4 3/8ths bolts with an air line going to it. Remove this plate and under it you will find a round metal plate (piston). Remove this piston and on the piston you'll find an oring. And thats the little bugger thats giving you the grief. Replace the oring, lube it, reassemble and you should have cured your issue... good luck Grampa.
sorry it took me a day to get back with ya but what grampa said
Many many thanks for the help, I will report back after this weekend if it solves the problem, and thanks for the write up on where to perform the repair.
Another easy place to check is the filter on the transmission air regulator. It is sintered brass, and can be cleaned out with solvent, just make sure to wash it w/ soap and water afterward so you don't put the solvent in your hoses and o-rings. If this filter is clogged it'll make that piston that old, old guy is talking about move slow too.