Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

90 degree fittings

92U 3406 · 2020-02-12 08:48

Anybody know of a good way to keep 90 degree ORFS and JIC hose ends to stay in alignment when tightening them down? Seems like its always the one hose in the most ignorant spot that wants to rotate with the nut.

Replies9
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-02-12 16:55

    Most of the 90's I've seen are flat on the sides so you can put a wrench on them. When they aren't I still try to fit a crescent wrench or pliers on them even it has to go diagonally. Depending on room a chain vice-grip may work too.

  2. #292U 34062020-02-12 17:42

    I mean like the 90 degree fittings that crimp onto the hose. No flats on those.

  3. #3Welder Dave2020-02-12 17:56

    Can you get a wrench or vice grip on the curved part so you're holding the vertical and horizontal sides of the fitting? Maybe put a small rag on the fitting if using a vice-grip.

  4. #4kshansen2020-02-12 18:19

    Maybe I'm not understanding the question but usually all you have to do is hold the hose with you hand while tightening the swivel nut on the hose when connecting the hose to the fitting.

  5. #592U 34062020-02-12 18:25

    I always seem to get the big hoses (like -16 and up) that the nut just does not want to move freely on the flange. Usually just try and jam a prybar against it so I can lock it down. If not, the hose usually just spins with the wrench. Now the hose is putting tension trying to loosen it off. Sometimes (like on drive hoses for skid steer pumps) its next to impossible to get something in there to hold it in alignment properly.

  6. #6Bls repair2020-02-12 18:41

    What about making something like this to fit over crimp part of fitting to hold it from moving

  7. #7Bls repair2020-02-12 18:58

    Can you get some lube between the outside of the flair and the inside top of the nut where they meet?

  8. #8JD955SC2020-02-12 20:24

    I know exactly what you mean, very aggravating when it happens. So far I’ve made do with big channellocks and prybars. It’s very difficult because you need 3 arms to manage the wrench for the nut and the bracing tool and hose

  9. #9Truck Shop2020-02-12 20:27

    Just spray the inside of flare nut with WD40 or equivalent and it will take the fight out of it.