Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

9020B Case Excavator Electrical Problems 1998 Model

JasonWitcher ยท 2012-12-19 22:52

I have a 1998 Case 9020B with approx 7500 hours. As soon as you turn the key to the on position it would blow the fuse. I tested all the wires and the red wire, accessory, had a dead short. I disconnected the wire and it did not blow the fuse. When I purchased the machine I had to jump the starter with a screw driver to start it. When I disconnected the red wire I could start it with the key, but have no display on the instrument panel. The previous owner would use a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to the battery relay and sometimes the instrument panel would light up and sometimes it would not but you could still operate the machine. I proceeded to search the short in the red wire. I traced it to the 1st connector behind the seat, pulled the plug apart and the red wire was good to there. From the connector the red wire from the key goes to a red wire with a yellow stripe. If you trace the wiring diagram this wire goes to many places. I started to disconnect each one, one at a time. I disconnected the wires at the alternator, still blew the fuse. Disconnected the wires at the battery relay, still blew the fuse.

Replies2
  1. #1MOONMAN2013-11-21 01:23

    your starter solenoid is bad.....trust me !!!

  2. #2Pando24902014-06-01 18:31

    I have a CASE 9040 1996 and it is giving me problems. the right track is slow, and the bucket does not respond when i move the stick. the bucket closes and opens really slow.it doesnt turn on command. the hydraulic hoses would move alot. and the main hydraulic pump is making noises like if it was stuck or from lack of oil.. i need help. i have the machine at the jobsite and it is costing me money. ihave tried everything.