Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955l

2tommy ยท 2012-12-19 04:33

I have a 955l and I heard something popping on the left side, stopped the machine , and 5, 3/4 inch bolts were broke off the final drive case at the stop left side of the machine, what is the problem? , also I need to replace the packing in both sides to keep the track tight. the track was cut and welded back together on oneside, can I just get a new link and fix this problem, can I knock the link pin out with a hammer or do I need a hydrolic press to fix it? thanks Tommy

Replies2
  1. #1Komatsu 1502012-12-19 10:30

    Our L has always had the bolt together link on it unless my memory is completely shot. Look for one link with a sawtooth pattern on the side, just pull the pad bolts and it comes apart. All I can think is someone wrecked the bolt threads and decided to weld it together. Maybe this is what you mean? If it doesn't have this and is a master pin set up, the only pin you will be able to do with a hammer would be the master pin which has a dimple in the end of the pin to identify it. The other pins have ungodly press fit and are impossible without a big press. The pins are something like 10 or 14 thousands bigger than the holes. I mean Ive heard of guys doing it by heating but its pretty sketchy.

  2. #2dirtfan2012-12-29 08:55

    Komatsu 150 is right on with his advice. Something else you can try, provided there is enough wear in the pins and bushings to warrant the cost. (if the aligator master is welded together and / or the master drive-out pin is not there), your best option will be to cut out the existing master carefully and re-weld it when going back together (this operation (heat) can ruin the seals in the pins if they are the lubricated type), or take the tracks to a track shop and have them replace the master link. As far as the bolts missing in the final drive case????????? this could be bad, we had one a few years back that the final failed in, and it broke the final case, (bad deal). Good Luck Dirtfan