Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

928g 6XR00467 Intermittent reverse issues

FordL9000 · 2026-03-05 16:33

928g , has very intermittent reverse issues. The loader works as it should 95% of the time , however the machine seems to lose reverse every once in a while . I believe it is electrical , I have taken the forward reverse lever apart and everything seems to be ok to the naked eye. The problem arises out of no where. There is not an inciting incident that makes it happen it just sort of happens . The strangest part is the issue seems to fix its self if you let the loader sit for a 20 minutes to a half hour . If it is worth mentioning, the transmission in general on this machine is funny , if you do not have the neutralizer button on the transmission does not work as it should .

Replies14
  1. #1FordL90002026-03-05 16:35

    Also this problem isn’t very regular. It only arises out of the blue , however it is starting to feel more regular . Just don’t want to get caught in a situation where I can not get the loader to function properly on a job site

  2. #2heymccall2026-03-05 17:04

    Anytime I have a loader transmission issue, I always start with cleaning under the heel of both the throttle and brake pedals, and ensuring that they aren't binding or sticking. If you're certain that the throttle pedal is fully released, someone else will have to chime in.

  3. #3FordL90002026-03-05 17:05

    Throttle pedals are both clear

  4. #4Nige2026-03-05 18:16

    Would an electrical schematic help you in tracing power/continuity in the electrical side of the transmission controls.?

  5. #5FordL90002026-03-05 18:17

    Yes for future reference it would . For now it has begun working again… The machine needs to go out and push snow in the morning but a schematic would sure help for when I get back to it

  6. #6Nige2026-03-05 18:44

    Ok. I’ll round one up and send it to you. Keep an eye on your message inbox.

  7. #7FordL90002026-03-05 20:58

    Much appreciated sir

  8. #8FordL90002026-03-17 15:34

    After further investigation and the problem reoccurring i was sniffing around the transmission and here i find a j1708 plug . this machine is a 1997 and i had figured there was no plug on it due to the age. Anyways i plugged my laptop in to see if cat ET would read it and sure enough it can, I'm now almost certain the gear lever selector is the issue and i will be replacing it . Also was surprised that the old girl only has 16000 hours, we've owned this machine for quite some time now nearly 15 years and the hour meter hasn't worked since I've been around. The little bull lives to see another day

  9. #9Nige2026-03-17 15:42

    Was the Diagnostic Connector not shown on the electrical schematic I sent you a couple of weeks back.? CONN 16.?

  10. #10FordL90002026-03-17 15:44

    Haha yes it is shown in there , my focus was to narrow to check or notice i suppose, i used it to look into the reversing solenoid.. never even thought to look for a diag connector in there

  11. #11Nige2026-03-17 15:52

    If ET will talk to the machine what Diagnostic Codes are coming up.? There may be troubleshooting procedures available to help you definitively nail down what's wrong.

  12. #12FordL90002026-03-17 16:02

    Here is the product status report i came up with .

  13. #13Nige2026-03-17 16:04

    And is if by magic..........here's one I made earlier.

  14. #14FordL90002026-03-17 16:21

    Right on, i will review and check things out. I have had on our 966g a similar issue and it did boil down to the pins on the connector for the gear selector. I had inspected them but i will not rule them out til i confirm. I am still surprised that i was able to plug into the machine would've saved me alot of time. I see that it specifically says something about faulty gear selectors , would be interesting to see if ours has one. I was able to run a test on ET that let me view the selector position as well as what gear was selected and when the code is inactive its able to move through everything. Of course i was unable to plug in while the code was active... always seems to happen when im about to fix the machine it fixes its self . Thanks for this procedure , One of these tests will confirm our problem