Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

93’ white Volvo

southernman13 · 2020-10-16 05:38

We for one of these on a trade for some work and cash to us. Haven’t even taken possession yet. It has a 11.1 series 60 Detroit w a 7 speed tranny. I like the truck because it’s short and would be good to get in and out of the woods. We don’t travel far but have some hilly places. Wondering if that combination w the 7 speed would have enough Balls to tote our PC200 excavator. Seems like not enough gears. Or would it be feasible or possible to mate it with a 13 road ranger. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1_Weldman_2020-10-16 11:18

    What does the rear end have for gearing? As far as going to a 13 speed I wouldn't recommend it, a 10 or 9 speed is sufficient at max.

  2. #2southernman132020-10-16 14:20

    Idk. I’ll find out. We haven’t take possession yet. He said it’ll run 65 wide open if that says anything

  3. #3mitch5042020-10-16 21:31

    I know nothing about that type of Detroit. I had a bunch of 1995 EM7-300 300hp Macks with 7 speeds and 4:30 rears. It was certainly no problem moving a 200 with those, as long as you didn't want to win any races. Of course, my real first heavy machinery moves were a D7 behind a 237hp Mack with a direct 13, so the Maxi-torque 300s were great.

  4. #4Truck Shop2020-10-16 21:49

    The 11.1 was no power house but a relatively good engine. Had three HP ratings IIRC. And yes those came from factory with a wide variety of transmissions. What really matters is the rear drive ratios, a direct 13 was common behind that engine.

  5. #5Tenwheeler2020-10-16 22:59

    Never saw exactly that set up but you should be fine with an 8LL, 15 speed or other similar deep reduction transmission. Might even get by with that 7 speed but I thank that is pushing it in a tight spot.

  6. #6funwithfuel2020-10-17 09:35

    No emissions, yeah! There are some things to be aware of on that old girl. The "bull gear" in the front end had a tendency to come loose and wreak havoc in the timing case. The injector harness would wick oil out of the head all the way down and into the engine ECU. Aside from that, general maintenance, stay on top of overhead, maintain coolant same as any other engine. I remember back when, super 10s were common behind them in day cabs, long hauls usually had the 13s. If you can get ahead of those couple issues before they become catastrophes, I think you'll be in good shape. The cab it's under, is that the one with the 3 foot doghouse to work on the back half of the engine, or is it the one with the flat floor and a long hood? Does she have Jakes? Air suspension or springs? Gotta post some pics man.

  7. #7southernman132020-10-17 10:37

    No dog house. When we get her I’ll post up some pics. It sounds cool lol. Not sure on jakes or anything else really but I’ll see soon