Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Heard a Rumor

DMiller · 2020-10-17 10:06

That Internasty/Navistar has been bought up by Volkswagon, will now be a German Company.

Replies24
  1. #1DMiller2020-10-17 10:07

    https://www.overdriveonline.com/int...cial truck business,Traton didn't already own .

  2. #2funwithfuel2020-10-17 10:21

    They brought that on themselves. If you're an engine company and can't produce an engine, there's something wrong. First they burn Ford with that 6.0 junk and then ruin their loyal customers with the crap force series of engines. Its a crying shame they've fallen so far from what they were.

  3. #3DMiller2020-10-17 10:31

    A lot had to do with EPA structured requirements, is the reason CAT backed away from OTR equipment engines too. VW, Mercedes and other Euro manufacturer have been caught packing the data stream mechanisms with bypass programs to make economy while defeating the regulatory requirements, they now have to play in that same limited game International and others have had to deal with. Could have helped if Corn Queen had built something with more resilience but that too costs big money they really did not have. Traton, Div. VW will be the New owner, wonder if a name change will occur? MAN, SCANIA? https://traton.com/en/company/brands.html

  4. #4DMiller2020-10-17 10:36

    Wonder if a NEW Resurgence in COEs for them too?

  5. #5funwithfuel2020-10-17 10:40

    The old 466 was their feather in the cap. The HEUIs were the last decent thing they made, and that's stretching it. It's a shame. They made some of the best vocational chassis available short of OshKosh. The only reason service trucks are on their chassis is cuz Ford can't / won't sell 6.7L Cummins.

  6. #6funwithfuel2020-10-17 10:41

    Can you imagine a modern 9670?

  7. #7_Weldman_2020-10-17 10:43

    https://www.fleetowner.com/equipmen...-closes-in-on-37-billion-navistar-acquisition

  8. #8funwithfuel2020-10-17 10:45

    The MAN Scania are too wide for America. I think iirc, the cab is 3m across.

  9. #9_Weldman_2020-10-17 10:59

    Didn't seem that way when I drove them, seemed pretty cramped at the time. Guess wearing body armor few hundred rounds some water canteens it wouldn't matter if it was 3 meters or 8.5 feet it would be cramped.

  10. #10Steve Frazier2020-10-17 11:01

    Used to be every school bus and every municipal truck in my area was on and International chassis, from the days they were IH, Navistar and other names. About 10 years ago that began to change as their reliability became worse and worse. Buses changed to Bluebird and most municipalities went to Freightliner. A local gravel hauling company that ran nothing but International switched to Peterbilt. Just recently I'm seeing the switch back to International now that they are Cummins powered, both in school buses and municipal trucks. Growing up IH was a VERY strong brand locally, tough reliable trucks at an affordable price. We had 3 dealers within a 20 mile radius. I have fond memories of the IH brand from the 60s and 70s but have heard numerous horror stories from the early 2000s until recently.

  11. #11Birken Vogt2020-10-17 11:21

    The way I heard it was that they proudly stuck with their all-EGR NOx reduction strategy far too long. Because they thought that everybody would hate DEF and come to them for a truck that ran diesel only. Even after it became obvious that their solution was not meeting requirements and not proving reliable. It seems to me on the outside like somebody inside the company had a lot of pride that the direction he took was the way to go and nobody could tell him different until it was too late.

  12. #12excavator2020-10-17 11:23

    Volkstar or Naviwagen ? Sometime back in the 1980's Volkswagen built small cab over trucks for Kenworth and Peterbuilt also.

  13. #13funwithfuel2020-10-17 11:28

    Had not heard that. It makes sense though.

  14. #14BigWrench552020-10-17 11:38

    Its really surprising to me that there isn't a giant class action lawsuit against all these companies and teir4 engine. Ever since the teir4 emissions I have spent more time keeping them running than doing any other repairs. 99% of my work load is teir4 emissions.

  15. #15DMiller2020-10-17 11:48

    Did not used to have 102" wide trailers either, times adjust to differing strategies, bridges are changing up where the old 9' lanes are almost gone on major US Roadways, are still a load of them but that can be negotiated around as with Oversize Overwide Overweight loads currently running.

  16. #16Birken Vogt2020-10-17 12:17

    I don't know anything about class action law but it sounds like an easy defense to say that it is "industry standard" and they are all equally terrible.

  17. #17mitch5042020-10-17 12:23

    I looked at it, and what I find is an overall width of 2.49m, or 98 inches. I still don't think we'll get european style trucks anytime soon, because the demand isn't there. This really isn't anything new, after all, Mack has been owned by Volvo, and Freightliner and it's offshoots by Daimler for years. https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...ThznD_m_AsGQCaZM&_guc_consent_skip=1602951374

  18. #18BigWrench552020-10-17 12:40

    They are indeed equally terrible. I haven't put the pen to paper yet, but I am willing to bet that downtime on trucks and equipment are at least twice what it used to be before teir4.

  19. #19BigWrench552020-10-17 12:46

    It could also be my perspective. I tend to get more of those types of jobs because of the complexity and the ability to accurately troubleshoot the problem. I was called in recently to diagnose one that couldn't be figured out. Customer spent 20k trying to get the machine to act right. After a few hours of checking the system and repairs done previously I was able to determine that there was a leaky injector that polluted the SCR.

  20. #20DMiller2020-10-17 13:14

    All too many direct attention ONLY to electronics failures, they fail to comprehend mechanical faults triggering electronic adjustments. Been happening since cars and light trucks came out with ECM systems.

  21. #21Birken Vogt2020-10-17 13:36

    I knew an old guy who continued fixing trucks well into the DPF era. He probably had computers but I never saw him use one. He just used sleuthing skills to figure out what was actually wrong and fix it, somehow. Retired now.

  22. #22John C.2020-10-17 13:39

    One must keep in mind that the current emissions standards were mandated by the Environmental Protection Agency and not a product of individual engine manufacturers. It's pretty hard to pin any manufacturer's issues solely on their shoulders until you look at Navistar and their debacle. The move to all the add on components to meet the new regulations was driven by physics and chemistry of which the engineering staff at Navistar thought they knew better. Some emperor with a huge ego decided the engine designs would go his way and there could be no other way. The biggest issue I always had with International trucks was in obtaining parts support from the dealer networks. My dad had an International Scout in the early sixties that got mothballed and kept. I went to do some fix up on it to make it run and needed radiator hoses. I called the local parts stores who said I would have to order them from the International dealer. I did and was told the part would be there in three business days. I mentioned it to my dad who said it won't happen and plan for at least a week. I went down there at the mentioned time and dad was right. This was in the late sixties and I found out through the course of my career that International was always that way. Them selling out is not a surprise. It's more than likely just another method of refinancing the company. The thing to look for is the replacement of the top executives to know if things are actually going to change.

  23. #23excavator2020-10-17 14:51

    It's all driven by the environmental movement. Their goal is to make it increasingly harder and harder to manufacture a viable internal combustion engine and that has been their goal for years which they seem to be slowly winning. The environmental movement and the governing bodies behind it is who needs to be sued.

  24. #24Truck Shop2020-10-17 16:52

    Now my turn. Any company that's left today that builds Diesel engines on or off road could see and knew the EPA rules were going to hit all the way back in the 60's and chose to kick the EPA can down the road. Ford came out with the Thermactor emission system back in 1966 to meat California emissions and soon it was standard equipment. Diesel engine manufactures stood steadfast not spending any recourses on R&D until the late 90's and early 2000's by then they were way behind the eight ball. It was coming and they chose to do nothing until forced a prime example of modern business {Most company moto's are don't be proactive just be reactive it's much cheaper} and let the customer be the guinea pig. Which is exactly what has happened. Cat was one of the worst for it Cummins was next. Cat was being fined by the day for every day it didn't meet emissions from 2005 to 2007. Then Cat pulled the plug on the on road series of engines. The only EGR that sort of worked was the Detroit DDEC V and it was a turd, Cummins finally gave up and copied part of that system but it was still junk. Then came the DPF systems and the early models were terrible-although the later DPF systems have gotten better.------It's been a case of lets put off today for what we can do tomorrow especially in Internationals case. Bad upper level management not investing in the future early on cost them dearly.