Hi I am trying to identify the Mitsubishi motor in my machine on the block it has a Mitsubishi stamp and the letters mu.also it has -5 2p940 x any ideas anybody i can’t find any reference to these machines having a Mitsubishi motor in them.nor any Mitsubishi motor with these numbers. However I know that cat used Perkins motors and Mitsubishi engines in some machines. I have just acquired this gem of an antique and am giving it a service and don’t want to get the oil wrong if it is a newer engine.
You may have a machine that someone repowered with some b*****d engine. I don't recall any 930 loader having anything but a Cat engine.......but I could be wrong, I guess.
PIctures of the engine are needed here. Could it be they cast blocks for cat?
Ok I’ll try to attach some
Thanks , what Is the best way to identify a cat motor
AlFAIK al 930 loaders were built with either a Caterpillar D330 engine or a 3304. Post some photos of the machine as well as the engine.
Hi to all those who replied and thank you. I finally unearthed the engine I’d plate as you can see. Also a photo of the stamp on the block that I took to be the Mitsubishi symbol.This is the first cat I’ve owned and am still finding my way around. The motor and transmission seem very good. Got some leaky ram issues of course which I will fix , also a serious oil leak in a pipe which runs under the front of the cab. Found a schematic drawing yesterday which suggests it is a feeder line to the hoses for the front rams . It is difficult to tell which one of the three is leaking due to limited visibility in that area. im 72 and not so flexible anymore. I need to get a camera under there next.
The hour clock says a bit over 4000 hrs.its been on a farm for the last 30 years and sat idle for the last 3 years. I haven’t moved it far enough to see if the clocks still works but it is possible to have such low hours as these things are mostly used for bulk fertiliser once a year at seeding plus sum cleaning up fallen trees and farm road maintenance. I cut the holes in the front for access to the gear shift as it was completely seized. Its working fine now after replacing the bush.
The machine serial number tag will be on the main frame on the right side of the machine behind the front wheel and the right crowd ram. If the tag is missing the number will be stamped in the frame, though you may have to scrape paint away to see it. From the wear showing on the brake pedal, that machine has done many more than 4000hrs.!
All mitsu had to do with that engi e was casting to block. Be your in the outback im going to assume the machine was made in japan. Im going out on a rumor here but I was told 3200 and 3300 engines where produced in japan and the USA. If theres truth to that i done know
You're right on both counts.
Hi I have solved the mystery. The id plate clearly states in small print on the bottom caterpillar - Mitsubishi and at the top of the plate made in Japan. so it seems that some of these machines were actually made in Japan by Mitsubishi . perhaps the ones we got here in Australia Were made by Mitsubishi under some agreement with Caterpillar which was pretty common with tractor manufacturers at that time as it is today.
73U 01490 built in 1978. Most of the smaller machines were built outside of the U.S. Production of the 73U range ended in 1985 at serial 03382
Thank you all for your input. I can now confidently buy some parts for the old girl and bring her back up to spec. Then I think she should outlast me
I would suggest it might be a good idea for you to get hold of a Parts Manual. Machines from this era are not well-served in the online parts system (unless your local dealer has a REALLY good parts person who's prepared to go hunting) and it could assist your parts search immensely if you can go to them with Part Numbers. Cat Publication reference XMBP9630, covering machines from 73U1313-Up, is what you should be searching for. You may find a used paper copy in an internet marketplace somewhere but if all else fails it is still available for download from Cat.
To Nige . Thanks for that tip. Fortunately Western Australia has one of the biggest mining industries of any state in the world.so we have a really big modern cat dealership here. they actually have the old parts catalogues in their systems which surprise me. i will look for a parts catalogue online and it will be easier to narrow the search with your imformation
I was in the mining game for decades before I retired so I know a fair bit about iron ore, gold, and the rest of the mining sector in WA Modern.? You're talking about Westrac, right.? Don't make me laugh..........
Hi Nige. Interesting observation about westrac. I accept that my perception of westtac can’t be compared with the scale of things in the US.I was there for the first time very recently and I was impressed by their service . I can only compare it to the service I’ve been used to getting from other business. but their spare parts setup compared to the smaller businesses I usually deal with in the wheatbelt in WA was like a one on one interview with a representative who spent a lot of time to find and sell me a single bush for my gearshift.i was just happy that the part was in stock. i have two sons in underground gold mining. One spends all his time in African countries and indonesia . Been overseas for nearly 15 years. It’s a very mobile international community Of interesting characters. One of your early 20 century presidents was a mining engineer in Kalgoorlie district.interesting talking to you, but I must goe and pull some hydraulic lines off from under the cab. Not a job I’m looking forward too. Hopefully I won’t break anything. Enjoy you day.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a Seppo........
My sincere apologies. i didnt recognise the location.is that NSW?
Don't apologize. You gave me the best laugh I've had all week........!! Seeing as I grew up in an underground coal mining area I decided that I didn't like going down dark holes in the ground and so I went into the open pit side of the industry. I never thought I'd still be doing it 45 years later.....!!