Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

931 Cat. sprocket removal

Don k ยท 2015-06-07 19:21

One of the final drives is leaking between it and the sprocket. I split the track and found the sprocket was loose. This is an early 931 and has the long track roller frame. Have the sprocket loose but cannot remove it from between the shaft and frame. The newer 931 have a shorter roller frame which would make it easy to remove the sprocket. Just cut some of the frame off to get the sprocket off? It does not seem to be of any purpose being long at that place.

Replies6
  1. #1Welder Dave2015-06-07 20:13

    Don't cut the frame. I think the track frame has to come off because the early machines used an outside support for the sprocket shaft. I couldn't find any pictures but if you could post a picture, one of the experts here will be able to help.

  2. #2Don k2015-06-07 22:07

    I don't see how cutting about a foot off it would hurt anything. In the parts book it shows that mine has the long track roller frame. After a few later serial numbers they went to a shorter one and used weighted sprockets. Mine has the weight bolted to the rear of the machine. In the manual to remove the sprocket it just shows the newer version. The part I am considering cutting off has not purpose that I can see. Will get a picture tomorrow.

  3. #3Don k2015-06-08 19:15

    I could not see a reason not to cut it so I did. Got the sprocket off and will hopefully put in new seals and press it on tomorrow.

  4. #4tctractors2015-06-09 16:05

    I think the shaft is 2"x12tpi the same adaptor that fits early D7's to re-press the sprocket, I have done the F/Drives on 931's and 931B's so I know the extra bit of frame you are talking about, but I would not like to encourage the amputation of any chunk of iron, after the repair the chopped off bit could always be welded back on to keep the Look tidy, anyhow well done for your effort to get things fixed Don. tctractors

  5. #5Don k2015-06-10 19:00

    Cut it off and welded a cap on it. You can't really see both sides at once. I am the only one that sees it and it doesn't bother me. I will keep it until I die then my son can worry about the difference. Then again if the other side starts leaking I will cut it the same and all will be right in the world.

  6. #6Don k2015-07-01 07:34

    Got the 931 working