I started a new thread so hopefully it gets noticed sooner. My friend got the starter out but it's jammed in the machine at a 45 deg. angle. It would help if the larger solenoid could be removed. I'm going out tomorrow to help him. The smaller one is easy but I've never had the larger one off and wondering if someone knows how it comes off? If he needs a new starter what is the best option? There's some different ones on Amazon/e-bay and I recall one of the members on here put a smaller much lighter starter in. I think it was a gear reduction starter. Thanks in advance!
you trying to come out the top or bottom
The same starter on my 931B would come out the bottom but this one wouldn't. He didn't want to drain the hyd. tank and remove the hoses off the pump to pull it from the top. Ordered a smaller after market starter for probably less than what it would cost to repair the old one. He did admit the starter was the worst thing he's ever had to try and work on. There's just no room to get it out easily.
You might want to tell him to hang on to the old starter as a lot of these new cheap starters are just that and dont grow old.
He broke the old starter to get it out. We took the end cap off and it smelled really burnt inside. The armature was glazed over and black.
From the smell, it sounds like you may have found the problem. Stuck brushes can also be a problem. On equipment that I care about, me first choice is always to rebuild it. I have a good guy close to me that uses the best parts that he can get. Not always alot cheaper than a new one but almost always better. There are times to use a cheap one though. If it broke taking it off, it may not be worth fixing.
When I worked on Jags the manuals had two phrases that covered things like your starter. One was "with a suitable prising bar" and the other was "maneuver clear" Either one was bad news. Joe H
He intentionally broke it. It is a real PITA to remove. Wouldn't come out the bottom and he didn't want to take all the hoses off the hyd. pump.