Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Injector line nuts on a 3204

Welder Dave · 2026-08-17 00:46

Can you apply a little heat to the injector line nuts on a cat 3204 at the valve cover to get them loose? Trying to get a 931C started. Engine cranks slow so we're pulling the starter but we can't get a couple of the nuts on the injector lines loose. We have fuel at 3 of the outlets out of the injection pump. For some reason don't get any fuel at the first line closest to the rad but the other 3 have fuel. I've read slow cranking can make it very difficult to bleed. We got it to fire once but that was it. Once the starter is fixed and cranking at the right speed should loosening the lines at the injection pump be enough to bleed the air out? I remember a Cat mechanic saying it should but wanted to check with the experts on here. A royal pain to get under the machine because it has counterweights and guard under the front that didn't seem to move at all when we took the bolts out. Worried if we did get it off, we'd never get it back on. The bolts on the starter are a royal pain too.

Replies6
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2026-08-17 06:17

    I wouldn't put heat to it and I wouldn't mess with front pan if it has a hoe seem to remember a lot of steel plate in there

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-08-17 11:09

    Wouldn’t worry about it too much, because it will easily run on 3 cylinders and the 4th will take care of itself.

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-08-17 16:37

    Looked to be 4 or more 3/4" or 1" plates stacked on each other behind a front cover. Sure not a lot of room to slide underneath. My friend couldn't fit under it. I barely did but got a back spasm half way under the front. Thankfully it subsided and I was able to slide all the way under to get the back 2 bolts for the belly pan off. Need to go back under to get the side and bottom starter bolts out. Not fun at all! Interesting the machine doesn't have sprocket weights. Think it would be pretty tippy without the backhoe. It's also odd it doesn't have extra grab handles on the back of the ROPS like my 931B has. Was the backhoe attachment available as a dealer installed option or Cat stopped adding extra grab handles on the ROPS?

  4. #4Welder Dave2026-08-17 16:41

    We can get number 1 and 2 loose at the valve cover but number 1 has no fuel at the injection pump either. It had a little at one point. I think once we get it turning fast enough we can bleed at least 3 at the injection pump and number 2 for sure at the valve cover.

  5. #5HATCHEQUIP2026-08-18 15:46

    Pump is likely stuck on #1 get it running and it might free up

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-08-18 17:45

    I'm hoping so. It had a bunch of smoke at the muffler but I think it's just not turning fast enough. Tried a little starting fluid after it fired once but that pretty much stalled it. I think it will start right right up once the starter is repaired and it's spinning fast.