Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

935CII Trans filter cap seal and also torque converter cooling hose issues.

jwalk2c · 2016-06-02 13:34

Hey Guys, Just 2 quick questions please. 1993 935CII loader with power shift transmission 3 fwd. 3 rev. Problem 1: Purchased aftermarket transmission filter cover seal “ 5K1770 ” (which the part number is printed on seal) this seal is ever so slightly larger in diam. than the groove in housing. When I installed the cover with new filter, the seal keep wanting to squeeze out, no matter how careful I was. And naturally it leaked so I took the cap off to find that the 5K1770 seal I had just installed was pinched and about 1 inch in length and 25% of diameter was disintegrated. I would install old seal but it appeared to have been very slightly pinched also. Though not nearly as bad as the one I just replaced. Ordered another seal from OffRoadEqp, but my question is have anyone here experienced this? Problem 2: Torque converter hose on left side leaking, hose is ordered, and one question I have is any suggestion on type of wrench to remove fitting on torque converter end of hose? Just took a glance last night when I sprayed PB Blaster on for a soak, but that is the hose on top of other hose where it goes into torque converter and I do not see much room. Thank You Johnny Walker

Replies7
  1. #1kshansen2016-06-02 21:22

    As for the seal. It is common for an oring seal to be just slightly larger o.d. than the groove in a housing. One suggestion is to apply a thin coat of grease to the groove to help "stick" it in place while installing the cover. Just need to be gentile and not bump things while doing it so it stays in place. As for the hose It is often required that another hose be removed to gain access to the one you want to replace. You may even need to move or remove the fitting on the other hose to get access to the one you want.

  2. #2jwalk2c2016-06-04 08:39

    Thank you kshansen, Applying grease to hold oring in place is a great ideal! I received another oring seal from OffRoadeqp, and this one had the Cat TM printed on it. I realize now the seal that I am having problems with was an aftermarket. And there is defiantly a size difference. I think the genuine it will lay in groove perfectly. I am impressed with OffRoadEqp parts . I have been able to find NOS parts for this old loader about 75 % less than Caterpillar. Concerning torque converter hose, would a crowfeet wrench on a long extension allow me to loosen fitting?

  3. #3Nige2016-06-04 09:49

    TBH I would not mess with buying aftermarket for something like a $5 seal, as it appears you have already learned. More trouble than it's worth IMHO. Where you can potentially save big bucks is in hard parts, not nickel & dime stuff. Regarding access to your hose. On small machines like a 953 it owuld not be unusual to have to remove various other hoses in order to get access to remove the one you really want to remove. Often it seems like a jigsaw where the part you want to get at was the first one that was installed and you have to disassemble half the machine before you can get to remove it. Welcome to the world of working on equipment ....... Another question regarding the hose. Are you sure it's the hose that is leaking, or could it be just an o-ring seal between the hose and the fitting on the converter housing leaking..?

  4. #4jwalk2c2016-06-06 13:49

    Thank you Nige, Actually I thought I was ordering N parts or “New” original, but mistakenly I selected An “Aftermarket”. The genuine fit almost perfectly and with a little grease like kshansen suggested I was able to install the filter cover and no leaks. As far as an oring leaking the hose does have a cut in it so it defiantly needs replacing. I ended up using a reciprocating saw and just sawed through the hose near the fitting nut, then was I was able to put a socket on the fittings and remove. The only other option I could see is a 1 ¼ crowfoot wrench, which I will have when it’s time to install the new hoses. I went ahead and ordered the other torque converter hose as well since the covering was coming off and the hose was extremely stiff. Thanks again for everyone’s help. Johnny Walker

  5. #5jwalk2c2016-06-06 14:13

    Oh bth thanks for the welcome to working on equipment. I really enjoy doing the mostly service and cosmetic work I have attempted so far. Even though I work outside I would much rather spend time wrenching on the loader than on a car. So much more room to maneuver and most I do is all nuts and bolts. But laying underneath removing the torque converter hose’s was a hard job for me. Like I previously said, I used a reciprocating saw to cut off the fittings, and let me tell there is nothing quite like working outside down here in the humid south, oil running down your arm and face, spiced up with hot metal shavings on the side. And a health does of dirt and grease falling all over you. Though I should not whine, it could have been 25 degrees and laying in mud instead on a sheet of plywood.

  6. #6kshansen2016-06-06 19:38

    Well your very welcome anytime I can help fix a leak on a machine without getting dirty I'm glad to do it! If you were near by I would loan you that 1 1/4 crows foot, don't have too much use for it working on lawn mowers or old motorcycles! It's a tough job being retired but someone has to do it, right Nige?

  7. #7jwalk2c2016-06-06 21:55

    Hey kshansen, congratulation on retirement. I do not think I will ever be able to retire. I sold International truck parts for 35 years, and then the great recession came along and I was laid off. I have not recovered financially and probable never will. But what’s a person to do.. I found a pair of MAC crowfoot 1 1/16 and 1 ¼ on EBay and I ordered them. Should be here about the time the other torque converter hose is. Looking forward to getting those hoses on. It will almost wrap up all the initial work I have planned to do and then I hope I can start using this to clear off bottom land in a flood plain. My first trial run came about 2 weeks ago. This was after working 2 to 3 months on the loader fixing many of the nitpicky items the former owner never got around to, along with filters and fluids. Anyway to make a long story short. The first time I pulled up to the brush pile I have been building with my little Ag tractor, I opened the clam shell bucket, and instantly covered in hydraulic fluid. Yep the hose between the floorboard and metal line that feeds bucket cylinder burst. This was the first time I got to enjoy such an event, I did not know what had happened or what to do next. My first reaction was to turn off the key, off course that did nothing LOL. (I am new to equipment) Finally I did shut down the engine, but then I thought, how am I going to get this back up the hill to my garage? Fortunality once the hyd. fluid in the cylinder emptied the leak stopped, and I realized I could run the engine as long as I did not engage bucket. I did check hyd. tank level first and it was low but not dry.