First question on site, although I've been following for a little while now. I have a 2000 cat 938G, (s/n: 4YSO1437) and wandering if my brakes are working correctly. Both brake pedals disconnect the transmission when applied. There is a console of sorts which hides the interior of the pedals, so I can't tell if they are a solid piece. I recently ran a friends "F" model which doesn't have the console, and it's a solid bar between the pedals. It does the same as mine and disconnects when brakes are applied. This is ok on flat ground but it's a pain in the a.. when trying feather your load on steep ground. My partner and local logger told me he takes the disconnect pedal off his loaders. He has several older loaders. I could probably ask my local cat dealer, but thought I would try here first. Thanks
Here's an illustration of your cab control setup. Does your machine have switch #16 and if it does, does it work..? Switch #16 is the transmission neutralizer override switch.
Nite, Thank you, I do have the switch you indicated. It appears that it is not working properly since both pedals disconnect the transmission. Thanks for the info.
Would you like the Electrical Schematic so you can trace wiring etc..? There is another switch down under the brake valve. It may be that one is dodgy.
The transmission disengages when the brake pedal is depressed, allowing throttle up during boom raising, etc, without worrying about lurch forward. By enabling the neutral override switch, the transmission will remain engaged when under braking. My Deeres have an adjustment (move the switch on the older machines, and adjust the angle electronically on the newer ones), in addition to an override switch.
Here's the Electrical Schematic. Search it for Switch P/N 112-6175. That's the one located under the brake valve. Look at item 11 on the parts illustration. Also check the operation of the dash panel override switch which is a 118-7238. That switch is an input into Pin 14 of the Autoshift Control (effectively the switch grounds Pin 14) so if the wiring harness or the ground connection is dodgy you could have the neutralizer permanently operating whichever position your dash panel switch is in.