Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

939 (not hystat) transmission problems

Reecebros ยท 2024-10-12 06:56

Hi, I have a 94' Cat 939 (power shift trans, not the "C"). It is apparently bypassing Trans fluid into the bevel gears, judging by the oil levels. I was told it may be as simple as a suction screen in the Trans clogged and making build too much pressure? Does this sound like a possibility and if so, where can I find it on this model? Also, was told most likely a seal in the transmission, but figured I'd start with whatever is easiest first. Thanks in advance

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-10-12 07:03

    Can you post a machine Serial Number (9GL-something by chance.?) please. It always helps in finding technical information. What you were told may not be 100% technically correct but there ought to be a suction screen somewhere. TBH from the sound of it you could really use an Operaiton & Maintenance Manual. Again the S/N would identify the appropriate one. They are normally priced at about $50.

  2. #2Reecebros2024-10-12 07:13

    Thanks for the reply, definitely should've included the serial # sorry. It's 9GL 00252 I have attempted to download two different manuals in pdf form (each of them over $50) only to find they don't work or are the wrong model. Kinda gun-shy on downloading another. The paper back ones are like $400 and up on ebay that I've seen. I plan to sell this machine if I can resolve this issue. Thanks

  3. #3Nige2024-10-12 07:26

    There are a lot of online con artists who purport to sell genuine manuals. As you have found out to your cost. A genuine factory O&M Manual covering basic maintenance tasks for your machine will be $52 downloaded from Cat. A genuine Service Manual, which I assume is what you thought you were buying as online downloads, is priced new at over $700 new paper form or over $500 on a CD. Genuine OEM Service Manuals are not available for download anywhere that I know of. Here's a used paper copy on eBay for less than half price. Why not buy it, use it to do whatever you need, then put it up for sale after you sell the machine at the same price.? Just ask the seller one question - Is it complete and not missing any sections.? Especially the O&M Manual and the schematics. Se ethe 2nd photo which shows the Contents page of th emanual. Every individual document on that list (I count 17) should be there.

  4. #4Nige2024-10-12 07:35

    See the attachments. The suction screen is in the bottom of the transmission case. I imagine you will have to remove the lower guard in order to access it. The transmission oil will need to be drained first unless you want a bath....!! Before you start..... Inspect the transmission oil. Is it clear & bright and a straw colour or dark & opaque.? Does the oil smell burned.? Post photos of whatever material you find in the screen or on the magnets.