Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What in the Mad Max kind of 931B is this?

CM1995 ยท 2024-10-12 14:27

Interesting little tractor. I almost want to buy it. What do ya'll think it was built for? It has forks on the front and the back. Pardon Our Interruption

Replies34
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-10-12 14:33

    For carrying totes out of fields full of water melons or whatever the pick was that day

  2. #2sawmilleng2024-10-12 14:50

    Cool rig for sure! Looks like it was done professionally, too (= expensive conversion!) Kind of specialized: High ground clearance; low ground pressure; maximum carrying capacity with 2 sets of forks. Specialized equipment for a Mega Farm? Each lift has 4 forks: pick up two pallet sized loads side by side? Going into fields for picking up totes suggests human labor for picking whatever fruit or vegetables. Something like strawberries? Have to protect the plants (= high clearance) soft soil (=LGP) Somebody PLEASE call the dealer and find out what it was used for!! Jon.

  3. #3Deere500a2024-10-12 15:08

    Ca Fields had a lot of custom machines some were one offs built by Holt/Peterson Cat dealer. Still see Cline single cab over 6x6 flatbeds running the roads hauling the tots that loader loaded

  4. #4CM19952024-10-12 15:46

    The little high track is neat as hell.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-10-12 18:01

    The second set of hydraulics is a strange set up. Reaching over the hoses to operate. Front sideshift must also be on that spool bank as well. I would of put it where ripper control lever is normally mounted. Looks like you would have to stand on r/h platform or even have a second operator on levers.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-10-12 18:16

    For carrying totes of vegies and fruits Human harvested hombre

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-10-15 02:56

    The conversion probably cost as much or more than the base machine. It does look professionally done. Tracks look like they could be larger maybe D4 size. I've seen a 931B wide pad advertised with D4 HD undercarriage. Not sure if it was an option or somebody modified it.

  8. #8Oxbow2024-10-15 06:11

    Definitely built for soft ground with those track pads.

  9. #9crane operator2024-10-15 08:23

    Somebody has been shopping track loaders on Machinery Trader......

  10. #10Deere500a2024-10-15 19:41

    Adopt a bobcat quick plate on front & the mast on the back setup for an auger

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-10-15 19:46

    A skid steer quick attach wouldn't survive on a 10 ton+ machine and an auger would need more aux. hyd's. to run it.

  12. #12Georgia Iron2024-10-15 20:47

    That is pretty cool. The headache racks are tall, seems like if it was carrying fruit, it would crush itself.

  13. #13Deere500a2024-10-15 23:49
  14. #14Georgia Iron2024-10-15 23:55

    Now it makes sense. Already boxed up.

  15. #15HATCHEQUIP2024-10-16 16:15

    Use to see a lot of these down in the Bellglades of Fl. When I was younger

  16. #16Tyler d4c2024-10-16 17:16

    They where used for some thing with sugar canes wasnt it?

  17. #17Welder Dave2024-10-16 18:09

    There is a rubber tired D6 like that with a cab at Leduc West that also has several other older Cat dozers. Also Cletrac/Oliver dozers and a Euclid TC-12. The D6 on rubber is sitting outside so may not be in the best shape.

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-10-16 18:30

    If it's weird it's farm related, especially if was on a truck farm.

  19. #19Welder Dave2024-10-16 18:41

    Used to be model T's modified for farming. Jeeps could get PTO's and even 3pt. hitches. I forget where I saw it but yesterday when looking for something else came across an old JD tractor (R?) with tracks on the back and steel wheels on the front pulling a plow. The tracks were a triangular configuration with the drive axle high in the middle.

  20. #20HATCHEQUIP2024-10-17 09:48

    Tyler I dont remember if I ever new what type of crop they were for

  21. #21colson042024-10-17 11:03

    @HATCHEQUIP , I found one of these Sugar Cane hauler tractors in my neck of the woods. Here's the discussion from a few years back: Thread 'CAT Converted to skid steer' HeavyEquipmentForums

  22. #22HATCHEQUIP2024-10-17 16:12

    yea I know but couldnt resist

  23. #23HATCHEQUIP2024-10-17 16:20
  24. #24Oxbow2024-10-17 17:23

    I can honestly say that I've never seen nor heard of such a thing.

  25. #25Truck Shop2024-10-17 19:41
  26. #26CM19952024-10-17 19:44

    AI is getting ridiculous.

  27. #27Truck Shop2024-10-17 19:50

    That is a actual cat piece IIRC. I have a couple of different angle photos some place.

  28. #28Truck Shop2024-10-17 20:00
  29. #29Deere500a2024-10-17 20:09

    Clean 58 Edsel. Quad track 988 prototype photos looks like an expensive upkeep in rock

  30. #30Deere500a2024-10-17 20:13
  31. #31Truck Shop2024-10-17 20:58
  32. #32Tyler d4c2024-10-17 21:00

    Imagine rolling that over youd be falling for 2 whole minutes

  33. #33ih1002024-10-20 14:35

    Cat LWS (light weight scraper) one-off prototype, 1966. The quad-track 988 was the same year. They made another one with tracks at the front and wheels at the rear.

  34. #34Chuckles2024-10-23 11:59

    Now that's cool.but why an Edsol.