Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

’94 590 turbo tranny trouble

Hillbillybee ยท 2010-11-25 17:16

srtaight 590 turbo one year older than the SL some times ( now becoming more often then not) I warm up my machine 15-20 minutes and when i shift forward it moves 1/2''. shift to reverse, same thing , i go forward again and it goes 1''...and so on and 4 or 5 times it fully ingauges and will run great all day. Some mornings it won't go at all, i drop my boom move the machine back and forth with extendahoe (with wheels on the ground) and it takes anywhere from 15 to 50 times back and forth then she'll kick in and be fine all day. Tranny fluid is topped up. is there a valve inside possable sticking? clogged filter preventing fluid flow? or electrical issue? I have also last night noticed a plug missing at the bottom of the round housing that the filter is attached to( i believe the tranny filter) ( that may sound rediculous but I've not noticed it before and have not seen any spillage and the machine still moves). I've been told it shouldn't be the torque converter because i have no slippage all day...just that getting started in the am. Can anyone give some sugestions?

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2010-11-25 19:20

    Sounds like trans pump is having trouble losing prime. Check hose clamps at suction hoses (1 1/2") for tightness -they are on left side of transaxle with a steel tube going to convertor housing & a short hose on that end also. Hoses may be soft & need changing I have also seen the steel suction tube rub on chassis & wear through causing cavitation problems

  2. #2Hillbillybee2010-11-29 11:52

    Thanks Alrman, I'll give that a check.