Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

94 Case 580 Super K Hydraulic problems

Jkier ยท 2017-01-04 15:41

Hi all, I picked up a low hour 94 Case 580 Super K for a decent price but it has some issues. The problem is that the main loader will not lift unless the bucket is curled back. It also wont apply any down force. There's no noticeable struggle or noise when you push the loader down or pull up. All the other functions work well. I've changed the fluids and filters, greased the joints and controls. No leaks that I can find. The clam shell works fine as does the curl, and the backhoe functions perfectly. Before I tear into the the valve assembly I was hoping someone had some insight? Thanks in advance Jeff

Replies5
  1. #1AllDodge2017-01-05 08:56

    I would suggest checking hydraulic pressure. Not a Case guy so cannot tell you where to connect, but I would do that before getting into the controls. My guess is the pump may need rebuild/replacing.

  2. #2Delmer2017-01-05 10:28

    So the backhoe works with good speed and force? and the loader bucket lifts fine only when you tilt the bucket at the same time? How do those loader spools move in the valve body, look at the valve itself to see if they both move the same distance in and out. You could have something jammed inside the valve, or even the cap on the bottom of the spool. It's harder to feel the difference with a wobble stick because it's not as obvious if the spool travel is different. And there are lots of Case experts on here, just give THEM time and you'll get your final answer.

  3. #3Tinkerer2017-01-05 11:02

    How fast is the bucket tilt when the hoist is stationary ? Same speed both ways ? Look for something as simple as a linkage problem first.

  4. #4Jkier2017-01-09 10:14

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Had to put the machine to work pulling stumps but before I did I checked all the linkage for binding to no avail. I then pulled the linkage off the lift spool and the lever moves smooth as butter but the spool valve is super sticky. The Hoe portion runs great with plenty of power, but I did notice that unless I manually recenter the front lift lever I lose hydro power. I was also able to pick up 16ft lengths of 18" dia. white oak with the front loader/clamshell. I have to fool with the lever to get it to go but at the *sweet spot* she moved the logs with ease.. Pretty sure the Lift valve needs to be rebuilt, I also noticed some ghosting of the front lift while working the backhoe Does anyone know if I can get away with rebuilding the valve while still in the stack on the machine? Thanks Jeff

  5. #5Delmer2017-01-09 13:36

    As far as I know, there's not much to rebuild in a hydraulic spool valve. You can pull the spool out of the bank in place by removing the springs at the bottom, then see why the spool is sticky, examine the springs for breaks or gunk, etc. There's no internal seals, it's all metal to metal, the seals are at the end of the spool to keep the oil from leaking out, I guess they're internal to the valve, but they don't cause issues besides the spool leaking oil to the outside. Compare the movement to the other valve to see what is normal.