Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

94 Cat 312 new to me….

Steve Simms · 2018-12-30 21:02

First..... Hi all, I've been lurking around here for about a year reading everything I could learn about buying a used excavator... But today I purchased my first one. I just wanted to thank any one who shared they're expertise. I felt pretty good about my deal and think I found a nice tight dry well maintained machine for a good price. I ended up making myself an inspection chart and when I got done filling it out , I realized the age (1994) didn't bother me a bit, 9500hrs on a well maintained machine doesn't worry me anymore. Steve

Replies9
  1. #1Metalman 552018-12-30 21:58

    Welcome Steve Simms! I bought a Cat 318B a few years ago with approx. 10,000 hrs on it & it has been a good machine for me. Had to replace the hyd pump a while after the purchase & then this year the swing motor popped a seal, but other than that nothing major for me. Hopefully you get some good use out of it...….Good luck with it. Any pics to post of your find?

  2. #2Nige2018-12-31 09:45

    Do you have manuals for it yet..? That should be your first investment after buying the machine.

  3. #3kshansen2018-12-31 13:47

    Yes! I'll second that and there just might be someone on this forum who could send you a link to a place to order or download them if you post the S/N. No idea what the manuals will cost but if you check with the dealer what a road call would cost just to come out and spend five minutes and return to the shop the book prices will look much better. Add to that the lost time cost while you wait for someone on the forum to reply they get even cheaper. Not to say we don't want to hear from you if you have a problem! But when the only problem is something like "How do I bled the fuel filter of air after changing it?" I'd hate for you to kill the batteries trying to get it started after a simple filter change!

  4. #4Steve Simms2018-12-31 23:42

    Thanks for the input I hear you on the manuals and I defitantly appreciate any and all input anyone has . A few years ago I built a sawmill that can handle 5' logs. Always wanted a excavator and reading so many post convinced me that I needed something bigger than a mini or even a midi. I watched a ton of YouTubes of different machines doing what I needed to do. I could have gone bigger but I simply chickened out. I have a small machine shop here and plan on building some cool things for my new toy. Maybe the ripper will be first. 6GK00903 is my serial number

  5. #5Nige2019-01-01 11:25

    For a link to manuals please post a Serial Number.

  6. #6Steve Simms2019-01-01 12:51

    6GK00903 keeping my fingers crossed it's not a grey market machine. Thanks

  7. #7Nige2019-01-01 16:00

    It was built in Japan on 8th Feb 1994 but is not considered a grey market machine. Got to https://catpublications.com/ Click on "Continue as Guest" when the popup window appears. For an Operation & Maintenance Manual type SEBU6724 in the box and hit Search - $46 for a pdf download. For a Parts Manual type XEBP7201 and hit Search - $89, again for a pdf download. TBH I would suggest you get an O&M Manual first then maybe go back later for a Parts Manual, but if you want to buy both in one hit that's completely up to you.

  8. #8Steve Simms2019-01-01 21:58

    Excellent... Thanks Do you think Ebay the best place to get a Shop Repair Service Manual?

  9. #9Nige2019-01-02 09:06

    Be aware a Service Manual won't be cheap (No download is available - a new one on CD is $650) and the eBay sellers generally know the value of what they are selling. We've come across cases where manuals were more expensive on eBay than new, there must be a price premium for the dirty fingerpirnts....... You need to be looking for Cat pulbication reference SENR6130.