Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

94 topkick dual fuel tanks

maineplower · 2022-06-21 10:16

I have a 94 topkick with the 7.0 gas engine with dual fuel tanks. Could someone explain how they work to transfer fuel to each other or does one tank run dry then the other? Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2022-06-29 16:23

    Pretty late to respond but I have a 95 Top Kick with the 6L engine. I had problems with the fuel delivery and pumps so should be able to help you. The drivers side tank is what feeds the engine. The passenger side tank feeds the drivers side tank. The fuel pumps for each are different. Being fuel injected there is return fuel that appears to go to the passenger side tank. Engine ran out of gas but passenger tank still had sufficient gas. Appeared that passenger side pump wasn't working. Mechanic friend rigged it up to run on just the drivers side tank after steaming the tank out. Was getting a lot of rusty gunk plugging the fuel filter located in front of the drivers side tank. I use the truck as a water truck on my land so don't need the hassle of 2 fuel tanks. Hope this helps.

  2. #2maineplower2022-06-29 17:39

    Yes it helps. Thanks

  3. #3cfherrman2022-06-30 09:16

    If both tanks are good you could just link a balence line to both. Us a shop vac on a tank with fuel in it to remove plugs without leaks

  4. #4Labparamour2022-06-30 09:30

    DON’T use a shop vac with gasoline!! You’d be pulling explosive vapors into an electric motor. Run it down or siphon tank dry. Using vac for diesel or hydraulic is safer. Plus, I don’t think you can legally have lower line between the tanks like diesel. I believe gasoline tanks on vehicles aren’t allowed to gravity feed.

  5. #5Truck Shop2022-06-30 11:33

    Good advise-Labparamour--poof.