I have a new to me 941b I've been using for a couple weeks to clear some land. No issue or problems with the machine after finding all the weak hydraulic hoses! I changed all the filters before I started using it and the stainer screen under the seat had fiberous type material in it. Cleaned it out and now I've checked it agian about 2 weeks later and it has a pretty fair amount of fiberous material in it agian. Wondering if there is a problem brewing? That filter is for the transmission correct? Thanks for any insight.
Got any photos of the material.? If the screen is the one in the bottom RH corner of the illustration below then yes it's the transmission suction screen. Does the oil smell burned and/or is it anything less than bright and clear (dark & opaque in other words).? A machine Serial Number is always a good idea.
Thank you, serial is 80H5640 I don't believe that's the filter I am referring to. Mine is right under seat. 2 right next to each other. One one the left is a strainer and the one on the right is a cartridge. Oil smells, looks and feels good. I'll get a photo of the material
Pics
.
Small bit of brass in it too. Hard to describe, seems like clutch lining material? Almost like crewed up fine tree roots
Well that illustration above is the transmission suction screen. Usually that's the first place any burned clutch material from the transmission will land. Clear & bright oil is a good sign. The two housings that you are pointing to in your photo house the filter element and the screen for the bevel gear and steering clutch compartment respectively. What you show in your photo looks like burned clutch friction material and by location would be from steering clutches. I've attached the PM Checks for 250 & 1000 hours. See P5 & P13 of the 250. The 1000 Checklist also shows the cleaning of the transmission suction screen. An Operation & Maintenance Manual includes all this info & more. It can be downloaded from the internet for around $50.
Ok, thanks for the info. Would this be cause for concern? The bevel gear oil is not as bright and clear, cloudy almost. Smells fine, not burnt. Thinking I should prob service this oil.
I wonder if the oil or the compartment has had water in it in the past.? Based on what you say about the oil condition it sounds like it would be a good idea to service it and flush the compartment (see P3 of the 1000hr PM for instructions) at the same time. Replace the filter and clean the screen. Make sure you wash out the breather as well (P11 of the 250). The filter element is listed as a 5S-0484, now replaced by 1W-7399. The recommended fluid is an SAE30 engine oil but drive train oils weren't really around back in the day that your 941B was manufactured. An SAE30 drive train oil meeting TO-2 or TO-4 specification would be good, especially as the compartment has friction material in it.
That looks like brake lining ,Have you adjusted the brakes lately? Sometimes those old brake linings just come undone when they get hot. When you drain the oil in the steering compartments check for bigger brake block pieces. Bob
Yes I did just adjust the brakes a little. The pedals were on the floor before to get the brakes to come into play.
Well hopefully the last owner just didn't adjust the brakes. If the brakes stay adjusted you may be all right . check to see if the parking brake lever is on. Might as well change oil and check for parts, if the brake linings come off the brake drums get ruined. Bob