Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

941B: Water in bevel gear and steering clutches (and right side final drive)

LCA078 ยท 2022-06-14 23:15

serial number 80H4852. pedal steer with wet steering clutches and 3304 engine. When I got my 'new to me' 941B home a couple weeks ago, I realized during my hasty inspection at the auction yard that I did not check the dipstick for the bevel/steering clutches. I only saw the torque converter/transmission dipstick under the small floor inspection plate near right pedal and the oil was very clear and at the full mark. Once home I found the 'other' dipstick and discovered milky oil. When I went to check the final drive oil levels, the right side overflowed with milky oil (very, very watery!) while the left side was low but contained no water. My guess water got into the bevel gear/steering clutch case and the seal between that and the right final drive is shot so water also migrated into the right final drive. After reading my service manuals, I can't figure out how water got in there? I see where there is an engine oil cooler and a transmission/torque converter oil cooler where water can get those but I can't find any mention of a oil cooler for bevel gear/steer clutch section. Where could the water come from? I'd like to find the issue before I drain and fill with a few hundred bucks of Cat TDTO, otherwise, I'll probably have to drain/fill again soon. Here's the bevel gear/steering clutch oil:

Replies3
  1. #1LCA0782022-06-14 23:16

    Transmission/torque converter oil looks nice and clean. Engine oil is dark but looks okay too (besides being a bit low).

  2. #2tctractors2022-06-15 15:48

    The steering case has no cooling feature only the transmission oil is pumped to a water cooler, the steering case top would need checking also the breathers as a possible route to allow water in to the case, the bevel gear and pinion also the f/drive bull gear and pinion are not the same as a 951C, is you radiator blocked with dirt??? tctractors

  3. #3LCA0782022-06-15 16:41

    Thanks, TC. Radiator is clean and I'll double check it. There's about 3-4 inches of dirt on top of the steering case so will need to clean it all off to inspect the breathers and such. Might be a bit of sweat needed to get it cleaned up as I don't have ability to pressure wash where the machine is located.