Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

941x941b

charles walton · 2023-01-25 18:56

I ju st bought a CAT 941 sn 80h0647 and I have 941b sn 80h6489 and the earlyier one has a better radiator than the B does and I was going to swap them but the core number is different. Can I swap the whole nose or not? I was also wondering if the trans,steering cluthces and final drives are common? Anyone on here know the answers?

Replies23
  1. #1charles walton2023-01-26 15:49

    View attachment 278751 View attachment 278751

  2. #2charles walton2023-01-26 15:53
  3. #3charles walton2023-01-30 19:10

    Hy is it none of you experts will even comment on this post? I'm totally baffled at it.

  4. #4Nige2023-01-30 19:59

    The problem with machines of the age of these two S/Ns is that the online system no longer contains the details of the arrangement (build information). A "no product configuration to display" message comes up. Therefore if there are X possible options of a certain component available then all of them are listed with no indication of exactly which one is installed. Will the radiator swap.? No idea, as you say the cores are different. Also the radiator guard structures are different Part Numbers. Steering clutches - the early machine has 2 options, the later one only 1 but all three group numbers are different. Transmission - early machine has 3 options, later one has 2. Those 2 are the same as 2 of the options for the early machine but who knows which one of them each of your machines actually has.? Final Drives are different Group Numbers between the two machines. The later machine there are two options and again who knows which one of them is actually installed.? As you can see it's not as easy as might be assumed at first sight.

  5. #5bccat2023-01-31 01:27

    The way l would do it, is to compare the differences by looking at your parts books for each machine ( I assume you have these) and supplying part # of the rads, show more pics & part #s. Put the machine’s side by side , take some measurements and go from there.Like Nige said, it’s impossible to say anything from the info you supplied.

  6. #6charles walton2023-01-31 17:49

    Thanks Nige,Ireally had no idea just how difficult they have made it to figure these things out. Cat use to really try to keep the older tractors running,it seems like the really changed their attitude when they came out with the modern insignia with the triangle in it. Now they just want to cater to the big boys and heck with the smaller guys. I was hoping maybe someone that has built a few old tractors like mine would chime in with some hands on experience.P.S, It does have some nice track frames AND the gaurds.

  7. #7charles walton2023-01-31 17:53

    The only problem is the older machine is 120 miles from the other one but I'm going to take some measurements and see if the hardnose can just be swapped.

  8. #8Nige2023-01-31 18:11

    Actually it was much more recent that that. Up to the introduction of v2.0 of SIS only a couple of years ago the online resource contained a lot of information about older machines. It still contains all the same parts & service information, it's only the detail of exactly how a particular machine was built that's not there any more.

  9. #9charles walton2023-02-01 18:32

    Could the different trans and steering on the early models be due to a direct drive model?

  10. #10Nige2023-02-01 19:08

    No direct drive on a 941/941B. It's all torque converter/powershift transmission. The only 2 options are lever steer and pedal steer.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-02-01 22:39

    Never knew Cat had a lever steer option for late 60's and on track loaders.

  12. #12charles walton2023-02-02 09:31

    I have seen one in the junk yard.

  13. #13tctractors2023-02-02 15:23

    The final drives have a different tooth count on the Bull and Pinion gears, the Bevel gear and Pinion also has a different tooth count, the Radiators are different as the B has the Trans cooler section, the 941 was first built with the option of lever or peddle steering, if both have peddle steer they will have 14 bolt drums and things will swap around some, lots of part changes between the 2 models so be careful. tctractors p.s. the 951C has many of the same Trans, F/Drive parts as the 941B, they also carried over to the D4E.

  14. #14charles walton2023-02-02 16:14

    Thanks,that helps a lot. So the final drives won't work on each other even if I swapped both sides?

  15. #15tctractors2023-02-03 15:11

    CAT changed the drive line by changing the transmission pinion and bevel gear tooth count and the F/Drive tooth count at the same time, this linked in to the engine BHP increase, it would be best to try to keep things standard is my thought as it is possible to crack the main case with Pinion / Bull gear failing, the thing is a 941 is not the same as a 941B its your shout chap, but these are the facts you wanted to know, the 941 has a 10 tooth pinion, 941B 9 tooth, Bull Gear 941 58 tooth, Bull gear 941B 52 tooth, then you have the Bevel and pinion into the cross shaft change. best of luck tctractors.

  16. #16charles walton2023-02-03 18:51

    Thanks,that is exactly the kind of info I needed. Looks like the roller frames and sheet metal is about all that is interchangable between them.

  17. #17charles walton2024-01-13 20:35

    How about the transmissions? are the pinion and bevelgear different?

  18. #18tctractors2024-01-15 15:23

    On the 941 and 941B even some of the panels are different, the front grill plates on the 941 have more holes over the plate, the B has a margin with no holes in placed at the top and bottom of the set, this was to limit dirt ingress, the top cowl is vented and un-vented, the lower side plates are made of thicker material on the later B, the fuse box is positioned to the opposite side of the kick plate, I could go on but don't want to come over as a Nerd.

  19. #19tctractors2024-01-15 15:24

    You cannot be reading my posts chap.

  20. #20charles walton2024-01-15 18:40

    I have read it a while back,I’m just trying to figure out what model of transmission I need. My old 941 80h0600 needs either another transmission or repairs on the one that is in it. First gear doesn’t move it either direction. I was thinking about looking for a parts machine and I would like to find out if the transmission from a b model will work in the old A model. I thought I remembered you telling me one time that it was the same but different pinion gear, I have not found that conversation yet but I’ll go back and look for it. Sorry to bother you.

  21. #21charles walton2024-01-15 18:42

    Actually I just found it a couple comments back. I had been looking too far back. I don’t know how I missed it the other day when I asked you that. Sorry and thanks

  22. #22tctractors2024-01-17 15:19

    The transmission will fit but the pinion will need changing its not hard to do, so it's not a straight forward swap you have to unbolt the back transfer section and swap them over.

  23. #23charles walton2024-01-18 07:44

    Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case. Now to find a parts machine