Hello to all. I am working on a Cat 943 LGP, sn 19Z. The tractor has set idle for several months after a new starter was installed. It started right up with a boost. Trying to move to a level area for trailer loading, the right steering pedal will not move. After some serious stomping, I was able to move it enough to turn a little bit. I am thinking that the linkage from the pedal to the control valve is corroded or simply dirty. Do I need to tilt the cab to get at this problem? Does anyone have any experience/ suggestions on where to start and what to look for? Thanks for your help.
yea you will need to tilt the cab up, when you look in the little doors under the doors of the cab(under your feet when you get in the machine) you will see a lot of rods. before you start jacking the cab up you will have to disconnect the linkages. be careful or you will bend the rods. i would say that the rod ends are froze up. they are little ball joint ends that screw on, good new they aren't that expensive just have to jack the cab.
Ours does this since it sits so much now (no work). Squirting liberally where the pedals pivot with whatever penetrating juice you like to use (we like PB Blaster) seems to do the most good. Run it for a while and it's OK.
Thanks guys, that's just what I needed to get started. Regards, Clark
under the floor board as stated above there is a sealed bearing with a bolt that holds it to the floor board the linkage rods connect to it if the bearings have rusted it will continue to lock up parts available at cat dealer
Hello honest-- Thanks for the help in my pedal problem. Even though I used to work for BIG YELLOW, I still shudder when I think of buying parts there. I hope to match or repair the damaged or corroded pieces I find under the floorboards. If not, then at least I know the parts I buy will be top quality (ouch). More to follow when I get back to the job site to work on the 943. Regards, Clark
UPDATE- After dealing with a missing cab jack (I modified an engine lift cylinder), and working through several small problems, I finally removed the pedal housings for the right and left steering pedal on the 943. While the left pedal was found to be in excellent shape, the right pedal (the problem pedal) was found to have severely corroded needle bearings in the pedal housing. It took PB Blaster, heat, and a big hammer to disassemble. I found the correct bearings online, and I will install them next week in a freshly cleaned and painted pedal and housing assembly. Thanks to the above members who pointed me in the right direction. Regards, Clark
I too have a Cat 943. I use it for gold prospecting here in Australia. I have a problem with it and would dearly love to get some input from you guys on this forum but how do I start a new thread. I can't see anything "clickable" to start off. Need some help here. Thanks.
Aussie Gold, You gotta have 3 posts before you can start your own post. Just go to the test forum and burn up the other two and then you can make your own post.
Thanks for that D9. I wish it told me that at the start! I spent weeks trying to post here.:Banghead Stay safe, "Aussie"