I have an 89 943LPG "Z" series Cat, and I have noticed the fluid on the stick looks like it is aeriated. I check the fluid with the machine warm and at dead idle as cat recomends. Any ideas as to the likely culprit, or an easy way to detect a vacuum leak? MAX
If the oil was being aerated from the suction side of the pumps then you would notice a power issue and a distinctive noise. Most likely the tubes under the cover have bad seals. I have repaired plenty of them but usually to fix a power complaint, not an aerated oil issue.
I have had the machine for about 5 years and put about 3000 hours on it. I had not noticed any issues with the power. It is a strong machine for a 943. The transmission was serviced about a year ago. It pulls strong as ever.
I have noticed the same thing on my 953.
The fluid on my 943 looks the same as well. Still pulls strong.
I had the same problem. I had a mechanic show me that I had the dipstick in the large transmission filler tube by mistake. Put it in the small hole at the top of the tube. This should take care of the aeration reading.