Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

General 955K questions

wagspe208 ยท 2010-11-04 13:26

You guys rock! I bought a used 955K and after a little maintenance/ adjustment, it it running its ass off. I have some questions, though. 1) Was the hour meter located behind the radiator and round? 2) Fuel pressure gauge is clouded/ not working. How important is it? 3) Water pressure gauge is cracked and does not seem to be working. Important? 4) Water temp, convertor temp, move so I assume they work properly. 5) Oil pressure gauge goes to max when engine runs, and drops down when shut off, is this normal, or is this gauge probably reading, but incorrectly? Thanks Steve

Replies5
  1. #1gpap1232010-11-07 04:36

    1. Hour meter is located behind the radiator 2.Important. fix it! 3.Important. fix it! 4.Be sure they work properly. 5.This is normal, you have to be sure that it is working properly.

  2. #2wagspe2082010-11-08 15:22

    OK, will do. I will try and track down the part numbers. I signed up for Cat online parts catalogs. Not very user friendly, but I did not have much time to look before I left. Thanks for the help. Wags

  3. #3grandpa2010-11-08 18:03

    Don't bother replacing the water pressure gauge, they stopped installing them on cat's for a reason.....they're not needed.

  4. #4wagspe2082010-11-21 21:51

    Ted (955) is running his ass off. He seems to be heavy though. Sure easy to get stuck. So, he has regular pads, not lgp or whatever. How wide are those? I have used the log and chain trick to get him out. It works great. But, it is a PITA to keep the long chains hooked to the pads, so I will make up 2 short chains just longer than the pads so the hooks will be harder to pull off, then hook the chain from the log to these chains... hence pad width ? Thanks Wags

  5. #5wagspe2082010-12-11 22:47

    Where can I get some used mud pads? Anyone have filter numbers for the 955K 85J s/n? Thanks Wags