Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

95-96 580 super L not moving

Parlusk · 2026-01-16 20:38

I am looking at buying a 96-96 low hour (1600ish) 580 super L. It runs great, same with the hydraulics. It does not move forward or backwards. I have checked the relays and the electromagnetic solenoids on top of the trans, they are getting power and the valves are moving. The declutch is not getting power but I unplugged it (from what I understand this disables i) I removed the valve body and its pumping oil. I am going to remove the trans filter tomorrow and cut it open to see how it looks. The fluid looks good. When shifting the gears there isn't any noise. I am I missing anything externally before pulling the trans?

Replies6
  1. #1highwayghost2026-01-17 04:39

    I have an SL and had a problem once with no drive. Thanks to help from the forum, I was directed to the ‘time delay relay’. It’s purpose is to put a delay during shifting to prevent transmission damage. Look for a taller relay near the top of the fuse panel. It’s special and you can’t just throw another one from the panel in there and I don’t know of any way to test it. It’s rather expensive too. You could try checking for corrosion, cleaning, and loose terminals in the panel. And it is possible to test the terminals, make sure it has power, and jumper across, bypassing the relay to get it to move. Use caution when doing this as the machine might move unexpectedly! And on a sidenote… Removing this relay and taking it with the key is a great theft deterrent! Good Luck!

  2. #2Parlusk2026-01-17 09:41

    Thanks for the reply. I forgot to add that part in my original post. I jumped the time delay relay over and it didn’t help.

  3. #3highwayghost2026-01-17 11:06

    I know there’s some kind of a switch on the seat rotation, but I don’t know if it has anything to do with the drive.

  4. #4Tinkerer2026-01-17 13:11

    Which Series is the machine ? I have the Series 2 parts manual. Have you checked both the solenoids and the electrical circuitry ? And the plunger for the ability to move ?

  5. #5Parlusk2026-01-17 13:15

    Does the time delay switch share the same circuit as the forward and reverse electromagnetic solenoids on top of the transmission? I am not sure about the series. I took the valve body off and then re attached the electrical connection with it off. With the engine off, when you put the shuttle shift in forwards and reverse the plunger in the body moves back and forth.

  6. #6highwayghost2026-01-17 17:43

    Without a schematic I’m only guessing, but I think the time delay is tied to the buttons on the shift levers that ‘de-clutch’ the trans. You might check those buttons for proper operation