Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

95 mack dm 688s project

ctkiteboarding ยท 2015-04-29 23:10

bought this last fall, hoping to have it working soon

Replies36
  1. #1ctkiteboarding2015-04-29 23:12

    some more progress

  2. #2RonG2015-04-30 04:05

    That is a jewel,it should serve you well.Those in the know would pay top dollar even today for that truck.I have said it before but that DM600 series are the best site trucks ever made.You are doing us proud,keep posting from time to time.Ron G

  3. #3ctkiteboarding2015-05-04 14:47

    off to get the body mounted

  4. #4kshansen2015-05-04 18:12

    Is that mirror so the Bulldog can be sure his collar is on straight? Only thing better looking would be a "B" model, but cab is a bit cramped in those.

  5. #5ctkiteboarding2015-05-04 19:15

    I kinda like the mirror, that's the way it was ordered so i decided to leave it on

  6. #6kshansen2015-05-04 19:42

    Would be a shame to bump something with that shinny bumper, so leave it for sure!

  7. #7ctkiteboarding2015-05-04 19:58

    can never have too many mirrors .....

  8. #8nowing752015-05-04 21:32

    Looks good

  9. #9RonG2015-05-05 02:30

    What a tease.............excellent job!!Ron G

  10. #10nedly052015-05-05 05:11

    Its beautiful! What did you get for a body? Was the front hub pilot conversion expensive? I have one I want to do that to.

  11. #11ctkiteboarding2015-05-05 07:31

    Hey nedly, a smooth sided brandon 17.5' spec'd with 1/4" AR450 floor and sides, barn door with two shoots in gloss black, the hubs with wheels were pricey but worth it I feel, it will run true and brightens things up alot.

  12. #12ctkiteboarding2015-05-07 15:25

    ready to go

  13. #13nedly052015-05-08 04:27

    I cant wait to see the finished product, are you going to set it up to pull the trailer?

  14. #14JGibson2015-05-08 08:00

    Amazing job, and awesome truck!

  15. #15ctkiteboarding2015-05-13 19:15

    getting there...

  16. #16RonG2015-05-14 03:23

    Gotta smile,that right hand mirror is set to see the drive wheels,somebody has driven before.Ron G

  17. #17nedly052015-05-14 05:24

    Did you put the body on yourself or hire it out? Its gonna be one sharp truck!

  18. #18ctkiteboarding2015-05-14 05:32

    I wish I could say these shops were mine but Im not so lucky. That said, its not what I do well so I tried to find solid shops to do the work right the 1st time.

  19. #19ctkiteboarding2015-05-16 15:04

    load cover next

  20. #20CM19952015-05-16 20:31

    Nice restoration! Hope that truck serves you well.

  21. #21ben46a2015-05-17 08:30

    what would that body weigh? 5800 lbs or so? 1/4 floor and sides, that's a rugged body. truck looks good!

  22. #22ctkiteboarding2015-05-17 17:51

    thx . I think the heavier 1/4" sides have it at 6 but the tag says it so ill ck

  23. #23kshansen2015-05-17 21:00

    I'm sure with good maintenance that puppy dog will be good for several years!:thumbsup

  24. #24ctkiteboarding2015-06-01 18:04

    getting there

  25. #25ctkiteboarding2015-06-03 16:51

    back to alc for the load cover, getting close

  26. #26gtermini2015-06-03 18:43

    Man, that is one slick lookin' Mack Attack! :thumbsup Greyson

  27. #27CM19952015-06-03 19:43

    Looks great! With the cost of new trucks as high as they are and the reliability being low, this is the best option to have a nice dependable truck.

  28. #28Mud Logger2015-06-03 20:30

    That's a sweet Ole Dog. We have a 1993 RB688S that's real straight for the age, but not this nice.

  29. #2990plow2015-06-03 23:22

    Love that color! What is it? Truck looks awesome good luck.

  30. #30Steve Frazier2015-06-07 02:23

    Those DM cabs were no bargain either. A little bit more room than a B but still plenty cramped compared to other brands. I drove one for 2 years, I'm 6'4". Most reliable truck I ever drove but probably the least comfortable. If I close my eyes I can still see the mirrors rattling at idle LOL!! Nice job on this one ctkiteboarding!! Was converting the front axle to the Budd pattern simply a bolt on or was there more involved?

  31. #31ctkiteboarding2015-06-07 07:21

    thanks steve. the hubs and drums needed to be swapped , not the cheapest conversion but it really brightens up the truck . I have to agree these older macks are tight and barebones but i think its part of the working truck bloodline of mack, a "no frills" just work thing. I think its one of the things that makes them so reliable.

  32. #32kshansen2015-06-07 07:21

    True the seat would rub on the back of the cab and the steering wheel would almost be touching your ribs. Would like to see the guy who designed that cab, must have been a short little guy that had a 25 inch waist!

  33. #33ctkiteboarding2015-06-07 07:37

    its not for heavyweights that's for sure, the previous owner dropped a high back seat out of a pete in this one and it made it even tighter, I have a bostrum 914 mid back for it which should free up things abit.

  34. #34Steve Frazier2015-06-07 12:11

    I can remember now there was hardly room on the floor for both my lunch cooler and a water jug. One would fit but both made things snug. One thing I did like was the number of air vents in the cab. If you were on the move you hardly needed A/C, air came at you from all directions.

  35. #35ctkiteboarding2015-06-08 19:06

    6280 lbs on the tag, Im not sure if that counts the gate thou but it was ordered with it so maybe it does.

  36. #36Paystar2015-06-14 12:20

    That came out beautiful!! Very nice job.