Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

95 XT Belt Squeal

Kobe130 ยท 2013-06-14 14:11

Posting this so others hopefully will not go thru what I did. Had an awful squeal coming from my 95 XT skid engine room. I replaced the alternator first as it is usually the bearing that goes first. Not much difference. Also water pump (saved it for a spare for my other Cummins 4BTs). Little difference. Next I thought I could detect a noise from the fan bearing with my stethoscope. New bearing ($125 - we'll keep it for a spare also) - not much difference. Finally in desperation I got a new Goodyear "Whisper quiet" belt to replace the new Case belt. Whisper quiet! No noise - beautiful. I had no idea the serpentine belt could cause such terrible trouble. It was new and it squealed like a banshee - just awful - could not stand it. I had tried putting some belt dressing spray on it - to no avail. Lesson learned.

Replies0

No replies yet.